1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative help

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok, im learning about derivative's, and they seem to elude me for some reason. I have this.

x2+x

I know the derivative is 5, and the function is differentiable at 2. But I don't understand how you get it. I know the limit you use to find it, but the shortcut is nxn-1 right? Where does n come from? And x=2 right? Would it be 2*21? But thats not 5, its 4. What am I doing wrong? Please, detailed answers are very very appreciated.

2. Relevant equations
    Pretty sure that I noted all the nessicary equations above.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I said what I attempted above.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2
    You've just got to learn the rules of derivatives.

The derivative is:

f(x) = 2x + 1

for the first one, pull out the exponent and make it a coefficient while lowering the exponent by 1 degree. Same thing for the second term.

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3
    The original function x^2+x can be seen as x^2+x^1

n is the exponent for each x, so for the first x, n=2 and n=1 for the second x

then use the derivative formula which is dy/dk of f(x) = nx^(n-1)

which would mean the derivative is 2x^(2-1)+1x^(1-1) which equates to 2x^2+1

since it asks what the value of dy/dx is at x=2, you plug 2 into the derivative for an answer of 2(2)+1 which equals 5

5. Feb 17, 2009 #4
    Thank you so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook