Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of a complex function in terms of real and imaginary parts.

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    Hi, I wonder if anyone knows when (maybe always?) it is true that, where

[itex]z=x+iy \text{ and } f : \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C} \text{ is expressed as } f=u+iv, \text{ that }
    f'(z)=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+i\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}?
    [/itex]
    I'm pretty sure that this is true for [itex]f=exp.[/itex]

I should be able to find this but searching google for mathematics is a nightmare.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2
    Hi,
    if [itex]f(z)[/itex] is analytical function, you can take derivative in any direction on complex plane of [itex]z[/itex], e.g. take it along real axis [itex]dz = dx[/itex].

4. Jan 4, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is indeed true. But remember that a complex differentiable function must satisfy Cauchy-Riemann equations!!

I suggest looking at Theorem I.5.3 of "Complex Analysis" by Freitag and Busam. A free preview is available at google books.

5. Jan 5, 2012 #4
    Thanks for your help. I should have specified that f be analytic.

Say I wanted to take the derivative in another direction, not along the real or imaginary axis, how would I do that?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. Jan 5, 2012 #5
    Thanks for your help. That looks from the preview like a nice book. I'll see if I can find it in the college library.

7. Jan 5, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This isn't really a question about real analysis, but rather about multivariable limits.

Say we have the unit vector [itex](a,b)[/itex]. To find the derivative in that direction, we can do this by

[tex]a\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+b\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

This can be done if the function is differentiable at the point.

8. Jan 5, 2012 #7
    Well, you'll get the same answer beacause f(z) is analytic, it follows from definition. You can use Cauchy-Riemann equations to get different forms of df/dz.

9. Jan 5, 2012 #8

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A complex differentiable function may be thought of as a real differentiable function whose Jacobian is multiplication by a complex number. As a linear transformation of R^2 a complex number is a rotation followed by a dilation. This gives you the relations between the partial derivatives of f.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook