1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of a derivative with respect to something else

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [tex]x=e^t[/tex], find [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] and hence prove [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=e\stackrel{-2t}{}(\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}-\frac{dy}{dt})[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well i have done the first bit:

Thats fine so now to get the second derivative using product rule:

now my problem is what is [tex]\frac{d(\frac{dy}{dt})}{dx}[/tex]?

would greatly appreciate a step by step for that part so i can finally understand this one!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

consider finding [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(y)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}=\frac{d}{dy} \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

so now you will have
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(y)=\frac{d}{dy}(y) \frac{dy}{dx}=1\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
  4. Jan 27, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You again invoke chain rule:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}\cdot \frac{d(\frac{dy}{dt})}{dx}= \frac{d(\frac{dy}{dt})}{dt}=\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2}[/tex]

That and a little algebra should get you home.
  5. Jan 27, 2008 #4
    im sorry but i still dont understand how to do it...
    rockfreak: what happens now when i change y in your expression to [tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]?

jam: if that was true then i would get [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=-x\stackrel{-2}{}\frac{dy}{dt}+x\stackrel{-1}{}\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}[/tex]

which would produce the wrong answer...
  6. Jan 27, 2008 #5
    ok sorry i think i got it...correct me if im wrong:

i could write [tex]\frac{d(\frac{dy}{dt})}{dx}=\frac{dt}{dx}\frac{d(\frac{dy}{dt})}{dt}=x\stackrel{-1}{}\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}[/tex]

thanks guys!
  7. Jan 27, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You still follow the same rules...in fact, you could use the convention from Newtonian mechanics that a dot over a quantity represents its time derivative:

[tex] \dot y = \frac{dy}{dt} [/tex]

To make things less cumbersome. However, rockfreak essentially wrote down that:

[tex] \frac{d \dot y}{dx} = \frac{d \dot y}{dx} [/tex]

which isn't that useful. Jambaugh had the correct advice

Nope, you would not get that. Check it again. You confused x with t at some point.

Let's go over jambaugh's method for clarity. Using the chain rule, and keeping in mind that the dot denotes differentiation w.r.t. time, we can write:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right) = \frac{d \dot y}{dx} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{d \dot y} {dt} \frac{dt}{dx} = \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} \frac{dt}{dx} [/tex]
  8. Jan 27, 2008 #7
    yeh cheers i think i got that...pretty simple actually once you know what to look for
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?