Derivative of an inverse for Calc 1

In summary, to find (f-1)'(a) for the given function f(x) = 5x^3 + 3x^2 + 5^x + 4 and a = 4, you need to use the equation d/dx(f-1) = 1/f '(f-1(x)). After switching x and y and finding dx/dy to be 15y^2 + 6y + 5, you need to set this equal to 4 and solve for y to get the correct answer.
aero13

Homework Statement

Find (f−1)'(a).
f(x) = 5x^3 + 3x^2 + 5^x + 4, a = 4

Homework Equations

I'm not entirely sure but I assume I have to use d/dx(f-1) = 1/f '(f-1(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I switched y and x. Found dx/dy to be 15y^2 + 6y + 5. Then I switched dx/dy to dy/dx so the answer became 1/15^2 + 6y +5 and I plugged in 4 to get 1/269. But the answer is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
No, do not plug in 4 solve the equation being equal to 4.

Ok so I set 1/15y^2 + 6y + 5 equal to 4. Ended up with 1 = 4(15y^2 + 6y + 5) so 1 = 60y^2 + 24y +20. Do I factor it from here?

Related to Derivative of an inverse for Calc 1

What is the derivative of an inverse function?

The derivative of an inverse function is the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function, evaluated at the corresponding input value of the inverse function.

How do you find the derivative of an inverse function?

To find the derivative of an inverse function, you first need to find the derivative of the original function. Then, you can use the formula for the derivative of an inverse function, which is f'(x) = 1/f'(x).

Why is the derivative of an inverse function important?

The derivative of an inverse function is important because it allows us to find the slope of the tangent line to the inverse function at a specific point. This is useful in many applications, such as optimization problems and curve sketching.

What is the difference between the derivative of an inverse function and the inverse of a derivative?

The derivative of an inverse function is a function itself, while the inverse of a derivative is an operation. The inverse of a derivative is the process of finding the original function from its derivative, while the derivative of an inverse function is the slope of the tangent line to the inverse function at a given point.

What are some common mistakes when finding the derivative of an inverse function?

Some common mistakes when finding the derivative of an inverse function include forgetting to use the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function, using the wrong input value for the inverse function, and not simplifying the expression correctly.