Derivative of complex exponential differs by a sign

In summary, there is a discrepancy in the equations provided for solving the differential equation in the quantum textbook. The text goes from one equation to another, but the two differ by a sign. This may be due to a lack of clarity or a mistake in the text. The correct solution for the differential equation is still given, but the inconsistency in the equations may be causing confusion for the reader.
Summer95
I know this is probably the least of my worries at the moment but my quantum textbook solves ##\frac{\mathrm{d}\phi (t) }{\mathrm{d} t}=\frac{iC}{h}\phi (t) ## as ##\phi (t) = e^{-i(\frac{C}{h})t}##. Is this not off by a sign? Its really bugging me.

Physics news on Phys.org
And the h is really h bar but I don't know the latex code for it

Summer95 said:
I know this is probably the least of my worries at the moment but my quantum textbook solves ##\frac{\mathrm{d}\phi (t) }{\mathrm{d} t}=\frac{iC}{h}\phi (t) ## as ##\phi (t) = e^{-i(\frac{C}{h})t}##. Is this not off by a sign? Its really bugging me.
I don't see how they got the minus sign. Can you post a picture of the textbook page?

Summer95 said:
And the h is really h bar but I don't know the latex code for it
\hbar -- ##\hbar##

again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 373
Write ## i\hbar\frac{1}{\phi}\frac{d\phi}{dt} = C ## as ## \frac{d}{dt}\ln\phi = \frac{C}{i\hbar} ##. Now multiply the RHS by one in disguise as ## \frac{i}{i}\frac{C}{i\hbar} = \frac{iC}{i^2\hbar} = -\frac{iC}{\hbar} ##. We get ## \frac{d}{dt}\ln\phi = -\frac{iC}{\hbar} ##. Integrate both sides to get ## \ln\phi = -\frac{iCt}{\hbar} + A ##, where ## A ## is some constant. Finally, exponentiate both sides to get ## \phi = Be^{-\frac{iCt}{\hbar}} ##, where ## B ## is a constant.

Geofleur said:
Write ## i\hbar\frac{1}{\phi}\frac{d\phi}{dt} = C ## as ## \frac{d}{dt}\ln\phi = \frac{C}{i\hbar} ##. Now multiply the RHS by one in disguise as ## \frac{i}{i}\frac{C}{i\hbar} = \frac{iC}{i^2\hbar} = -\frac{iC}{\hbar} ##. We get ## \frac{d}{dt}\ln\phi = -\frac{iC}{\hbar} ##. Integrate both sides to get ## \ln\phi = -\frac{iCt}{\hbar} + A ##, where ## A ## is some constant. Finally, exponentiate both sides to get ## \phi = Be^{-\frac{iCt}{\hbar}} ##, where ## B ## is a constant.

I don't think the problem was how to solve the differential equation, but rather how the text went from one DE to another. In the image of post #4, the text has
$$i\hbar\frac 1 {\phi(t)} \frac{d \phi(t)}{dt} = C \text{ or } \frac{d \phi(t)}{dt} = \frac{iC}{\hbar} \phi(t)$$

@Summer95, I believe the text is being a little sloppy here -- C in the left equation isn't the same as C in the right equation; the two differ by a sign. That's what I think is going on here.

If the ## C## is the same the second equation needs a minus in front the right side ... ( in any case the disjunction is true and also the solution given)

Oh I see! Oops... :oops:

Mark44 said:
I don't think the problem was how to solve the differential equation, but rather how the text went from one DE to another. In the image of post #4, the text has@Summer95, I believe the text is being a little sloppy here -- C in the left equation isn't the same as C in the right equation; the two differ by a sign. That's what I think is going on here.
ok I see now, of course. thank you!

1. What is a derivative of a complex exponential?

The derivative of a complex exponential is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a complex exponential function at a specific point. It is denoted by the symbol d/dx and is equivalent to finding the slope of the tangent line at that point.

2. Why does the derivative of a complex exponential differ by a sign?

The derivative of a complex exponential differs by a sign because of the imaginary component, which is represented by the letter i. When taking the derivative, the imaginary component is multiplied by the coefficient, which results in a change in sign.

3. How is the derivative of a complex exponential calculated?

The derivative of a complex exponential can be calculated using the power rule in calculus, where the coefficient of the exponential term is multiplied by the base raised to the power of one less than the original power. For example, the derivative of e^(ax) is ae^(ax).

4. What is the importance of understanding the derivative of a complex exponential?

Understanding the derivative of a complex exponential is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, electrical engineering, and signal processing. It allows us to analyze and model complex systems, and to calculate rates of change in dynamic processes.

5. Are there any applications of the derivative of a complex exponential in real life?

Yes, the derivative of a complex exponential has many real-life applications, including in the fields of economics, finance, and biology. For example, it can be used to model population growth, analyze stock market trends, and calculate interest rates in compound interest calculations.