How can different types of logarithms affect the derivative of a function?

• Thread starter nofunatall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, we discussed the use of the chain rule and the derivative of a logarithm, noting that the natural logarithm of x is written as \ln(x), not \log(x). While log(x) can refer to the base 10 logarithm in certain contexts, in mathematics it is typically taken to mean the natural logarithm unless otherwise stated. Additionally, we discussed how in engineering and applied mathematics, base 10 and base 2 are sometimes used, but in pure mathematics, the most common choices are the natural logarithm (base e) and the binary logarithm (base 2).
nofunatall
How do you find the derivative of the following?

e^5X - 3log(x)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to use the chan rule and what the derivative of a log is?

Zurtex said:
Do you know how to use the chan rule and what the derivative of a log is?

Learned years ago. In other words. No.

Well:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} ( \log x ) = \frac{1}{x} \quad \text{for all} \, x > 0[/tex]

The chain rule goes:

[tex]\frac{dg}{dx} = \frac{dg}{df} \frac{df}{dx}[/tex]

Or using Newton notation, if there exists some y = g(f(x)) then y' = f'(x) g'(f(x))

Got that part. That makes sense.

Zurtex said:
Well:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} ( \log x ) = \frac{1}{x} \quad \text{for all} \, x > 0[/tex]
~No, that's not true;

[tex]\forall x > 0, \; \frac{d}{{dx}}\ln x = \frac{1}{x}[/tex]

[tex]\forall x > 0, \; \frac{d}{{dx}}\log x = \frac{1}{{x\ln 10}}[/tex]

The natural logarithm of [itex]x[/itex] is written as [itex]\ln(x)[/itex], not [itex]\log(x)[/itex].

log(x) is the base 10 logarithm,
[tex]\log x = \frac{{\ln x}}{{\ln 10}}[/tex]

Last edited:
bomba923 said:
The natural logarithm of [itex]x[/itex] is written as [itex]\ln(x)[/itex], not [itex]\log(x)[/itex].
Not in all cases. For example, it is usual in analysis to use just log to mean base e. Sadly, this does cause some confusion, so people really should write the base when there's no context.

Hmm, I've not seen log mean log10 in a good year or so now, I'm so used to log meaning loge I just assumed this was the case. I still think it does, but only the original poster will be able to tell us.

log should always be taken to mean log base e unless in certain very strict cases none of which are applicable in anaysis. certainly very few people in mathematics would ever write ln for natural log unless close by they had a need to use logs in other bases (see below)short of the occasional use in engineering/applied maths no one uses base 10, and in fact the most natural second choice after e ought to be base 2.

My algorithms textbook uses three different kinds of logarithm, log, ln, and lg for base 2. I thought that was especially unusual because in algorithms it usually doesn't matter what base you're using.

Last edited:
0rthodontist said:
My algorithms textbook uses three different kinds of logarithm, log, ln, and lg for base 2.
How horrid, and utterly dumb.

I still remember how shocked I was in a class of fluid mechanics where my professor almost apologetically said that a particular formula used Briggsian logarithms rather than the natural one.
(It was a typical "engineer" formula).

1. What is the derivative of e^5x?

The derivative of e^5x is 5e^5x.

2. How do you find the derivative of e^5x - 3log(x)?

To find the derivative of e^5x - 3log(x), you would use the power rule for the first term (e^5x) and the quotient rule for the second term (3log(x)).

3. Can you simplify the derivative of e^5x - 3log(x)?

Yes, the derivative can be simplified to 5e^5x - 3/x.

4. Is the derivative of e^5x - 3log(x) always positive?

No, the derivative can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the value of x.

5. How does the derivative of e^5x - 3log(x) change as x increases?

The derivative of e^5x - 3log(x) increases as x increases. This can be seen by the fact that the first term (e^5x) is always positive and the second term (3log(x)) decreases as x increases.