Derivative of Integral with Respect to Variable of Integration

In summary, there is a function of the form tf(t)>0, with df/dr term needed to solve the equation for rf(r). The function has to meet some conditions in order for the integral to work correctly, but it is not necessary that f(t)>0.
Mothrog
I have a function of the form

[tex]\int^{r}_{0} tf(t)dt[/tex]

I'm supposed to take the derivative with respect to r of this integral. By the fundamental theorem of calculus, is the derivative not

[tex]rf(r)[/tex]

The problem being I need, for the problem to work out correctly, to have a df/dr term. So, am I mistaken in my solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, it depends on what properties does the function under the integral sign has, tf(t).
THere are some conditions which this function has to fulfill in order for the answer to be what u said. THe first one is that f(t)>0, which implies directly that [tex]\int^{r}_{0} f(t)dt[/tex] is monotono increasing.

No, there is no need that f(t)> 0. By the fundamental theorem of calculus, as long as g(x) is continuous if [tex]G(x)= \int_a^x g(t)dt[/tex], then [tex]\frac{dG}{dx}= g(x)[/tex]. In this case, g(x)= xf(x) so, as long as f is continuous, if [tex]F(r)= \int_0^r tf(t)dt[/tex], then [tex]\frac{dF}{dr}= rf(r)[/tex]. I do not understand why you would "need to have a df/dr term. Perhaps if you were to post the actual problem, it would make more sense.

It is desired to show that if, for constant k,

[tex]\frac{d}{dr} g(r) = \frac{d}{dr}k\frac{r^2}{\int^{r}_{0} tf(t)dt} < 0[/tex]​

Then

[tex]\frac{d}{dr}f(r) > 0[/tex]​

When I take the derivative of g, I get

[tex]\frac{dg}{dr} = k\frac{2r\int^{r}_{0}tf(t)dt - r^2(rf(r))}{(\int^{r}_{0} tf(t)dt)^2}[/tex]​

If that is correct, I don't see how it is possible to show the desired relation. The definition of g given is the only information known about g. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Bump.

Well, here's something. Let's throw k away. If it's positive it doesn't add anything to the problem and if it can be either sign, then it just plain isn't true. Now let

[tex]F(r)=\int^{r}_{0} tf(t)dt[/tex] and [tex]G(r)=\frac{r^2}{2} f(r)[/tex].

Now look at the numerator of dg/dr. If it's negative then G(r)>F(r). But G(0)=F(0)=0. So if G'(r)>F'(r) then I could conclude G(r)>F(r). G'(r)=rf(r)+(r^2/2)*f'(r). F'(r)=rf(r). So if f'(r)>0 then dg/dr<0 and vice versa. Trouble is, I can't see how the converse would hold, which seems to be what you are actually trying to prove.

Dick said:
Well, here's something. Let's throw k away. If it's positive it doesn't add anything to the problem and if it can be either sign, then it just plain isn't true. Now let

Now look at the numerator of dg/dr. If it's negative then G(r)>F(r). But G(0)=F(0)=0. So if G'(r)>F'(r) then I could conclude G(r)>F(r). G'(r)=rf(r)+(r^2/2)*f'(r). F'(r)=rf(r). So if f'(r)>0 then dg/dr<0 and vice versa. Trouble is, I can't see how the converse would hold, which seems to be what you are actually trying to prove.
I'm not sure you can assume [tex]g(0) = F(0) = 0[/tex]. Can you walk me through your logic on that step?

Last edited:
Mothrog said:
I'm not sure you can assume [tex]g(0) = f(0) = 0[/tex]. Can you walk me through your logic on that step?

Not the little f and g. The big F and G. It's not an assumption, look at their definitions.

Dick said:
Not the little f and g. The big F and G. It's not an assumption, look at their definitions.

But G(r) depends only on little f(r), so how can you conclude that if F(0) = 0, that G(r) = 0?

G(0)=f(0)*0^2/2=0. F(0) is the integral from 0 to 0 of t*f(t) which=0.

Dick said:
G(0)=f(0)*0^2/2=0. F(0) is the integral from 0 to 0 of t*f(t) which=0.

Ah, OK. That makes sense.

Dick said:

Actually, looking back at the problem again, I needed to show that f'(r) > 0 implies g'(r) < 0, so I don't need to prove the converse. So, problem solved. Thanks for your help. I was tearing my hair out over that one.

No problem. Good thing you don't have to prove the converse, It's not true.

Related to Derivative of Integral with Respect to Variable of Integration

1. What is the derivative of an integral?

The derivative of an integral is a mathematical operation that gives the rate of change of the integral with respect to its variable. It is represented by the symbol d/dx and can be thought of as the slope of the tangent line to the integral curve at a specific point.

2. How do you find the derivative of an integral?

The derivative of an integral can be found by using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. This theorem states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the original function, evaluated at the upper limit of integration. In other words, if the integral is represented by F(x), then the derivative is F'(x).

3. Can the derivative of an integral be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an integral can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that point. The sign of the derivative depends on the slope of the tangent line at that point. If the tangent line is sloping downwards, the derivative will be negative.

4. What is the relationship between the derivative and integral?

The derivative and integral are inverse operations of each other. This means that the derivative of an integral gives the original function, and the integral of a derivative gives the original function plus a constant. They are also connected through the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that taking the derivative and then the integral of a function is equivalent to just taking the integral of the function.

5. How is the derivative of an integral used in real life?

The derivative of an integral has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to find rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration, and to solve optimization problems. It is also used in financial analysis to calculate the rate of return on investments and in statistics to find the probability density function.