Derivative of inverse function.

in summary, the homework statement asks for the derivative of the inverse of the function at x=-1=f(3).
Willowz

Homework Statement

Let, f(x) = x^3 - 3x^2 - 1 , x => 2 . Find the value of df^-1/dx at the point x=-1=f(3)

Homework Equations

The definition states; "If f has an interval I as domain and f'(x) exists and is never zero on I, then f'(c) is diff at every point in its domain. The value of (f^-1)' at a point b in the domain of f_1 is the reciprocal of the value of f1 at the point a = f^-1(b):
b80fffc5e854e0c44c3e6accbfadf7a2.png

Though I don't really understand what is going on in the equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

The derivative is f' = 3x^2 - 6x , but I don't really get what and why I do what I have to do from here. Coulden't find a youtube video for these sort of problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that definition sounds complicated. The definition I always used is, well... y = f(x), yeah? So the inverse of f(x) would be x(y), and the derivative of that is dx/dy. Now it might seem intuitive, and there are pitfalls in that, but this is true because of the chain rule:

[tex]\left(f^{-1}(x)\right)' = \frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{1}{\frac{dy}{dx}}[/tex]

So the derivative of the inverse of your function is the reciprocal of the derivative of your function. Fun stuff, really.

Char. Limit said:
Wow, that definition sounds complicated. The definition I always used is, well... y = f(x), yeah? So the inverse of f(x) would be x(y), and the derivative of that is dx/dy. Now it might seem intuitive, and there are pitfalls in that, but this is true because of the chain rule:

[tex]\left(f^{-1}(x)\right)' = \frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{1}{\frac{dy}{dx}}[/tex]

So the derivative of the inverse of your function is the reciprocal of the derivative of your function. Fun stuff, really.
Oh, ok. So, could you tell me what does the question ask for when they ask to find df^-1/dx at x=-1=f(3) ?

it makes more sense if you write it this way:

dx/dy = 1/(dy/dx), but this isn't very accurate notation.

in english: the derivative of the inverse, is the reciprocal of the derivative.

in other words, instead of writing y = f(x), you consider x = f-1(y).

your equation should read:

[tex](f^{-1})'(f(a)) = \frac{1}{f'(a)}[/tex] or

[tex](f^{-1})'(b) = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(b))}[/tex]

since presumably b = f(a) (and thus a = f-1(b)).

Deveno said:
it makes more sense if you write it this way:

dx/dy = 1/(dy/dx), but this isn't very accurate notation.

in english: the derivative of the inverse, is the reciprocal of the derivative.

in other words, instead of writing y = f(x), you consider x = f-1(y).

your equation should read:

[tex](f^{-1})'(f(a)) = \frac{1}{f'(a)}[/tex] or

[tex](f^{-1})'(b) = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(b))}[/tex]

since presumably b = f(a) (and thus a = f-1(b)).

So, in this case I don't have to find the inverse of the function because x=-1=f(3);
[tex](f^{-1})'(b) = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(3))}[/tex] ----> [tex](f^{-1})'(b) = \frac{1}{f'(-1)}[/tex] ?

What is the derivative of an inverse function?

The derivative of an inverse function is the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function. In other words, if the original function is f(x), then the derivative of the inverse function, denoted as f-1(x), is 1/f'(x).

How do you find the derivative of an inverse function?

To find the derivative of an inverse function, you can use the formula: (f-1)'(x) = 1/f'(f-1(x)). Alternatively, you can also use the inverse function rule, which states that the derivative of an inverse function is equal to the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function evaluated at the corresponding value of the inverse function.

What is the relationship between the derivative of a function and the derivative of its inverse?

The derivative of an inverse function is the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function. This means that if the derivative of the original function is positive, then the derivative of the inverse function will be positive as well, and vice versa. Additionally, the graphs of the original function and its inverse will have slopes that are reciprocals of each other at corresponding points.

Can the derivative of an inverse function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an inverse function can be negative. This can happen when the derivative of the original function is positive, as the derivative of the inverse function will be the reciprocal of a positive number, resulting in a negative value. The same applies when the derivative of the original function is negative, in which case the derivative of the inverse function will be positive.

What is the significance of the derivative of an inverse function?

The derivative of an inverse function is important in calculus as it allows us to find the rate of change of the inverse function, which can be useful in many real-world applications. Additionally, the derivative of an inverse function can be used to find the slope of a tangent line to the inverse function's graph at a specific point.