1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of inverse function.

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let, f(x) = x^3 - 3x^2 - 1 , x => 2 . Find the value of df^-1/dx at the point x=-1=f(3)

2. Relevant equations
    The definition states; "If f has an interval I as domain and f'(x) exists and is never zero on I, then f'(c) is diff at every point in its domain. The value of (f^-1)' at a point b in the domain of f_1 is the reciprocal of the value of f1 at the point a = f^-1(b):
    b80fffc5e854e0c44c3e6accbfadf7a2.png
    Though I don't really understand what is going on in the equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The derivative is f' = 3x^2 - 6x , but I don't really get what and why I do what I have to do from here. Coulden't find a youtube video for these sort of problems.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Wow, that definition sounds complicated. The definition I always used is, well... y = f(x), yeah? So the inverse of f(x) would be x(y), and the derivative of that is dx/dy. Now it might seem intuitive, and there are pitfalls in that, but this is true because of the chain rule:

[tex]\left(f^{-1}(x)\right)' = \frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{1}{\frac{dy}{dx}}[/tex]

So the derivative of the inverse of your function is the reciprocal of the derivative of your function. Fun stuff, really.

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3
    Oh, ok. So, could you tell me what does the question ask for when they ask to find df^-1/dx at x=-1=f(3) ?

5. Oct 28, 2011 #4

Deveno

Science Advisor

it makes more sense if you write it this way:

dx/dy = 1/(dy/dx), but this isn't very accurate notation.

in english: the derivative of the inverse, is the reciprocal of the derivative.

in other words, instead of writing y = f(x), you consider x = f-1(y).

your equation should read:

[tex](f^{-1})'(f(a)) = \frac{1}{f'(a)}[/tex] or

[tex](f^{-1})'(b) = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(b))}[/tex]

since presumably b = f(a) (and thus a = f-1(b)).

6. Oct 28, 2011 #5
    So, in this case I don't have to find the inverse of the function because x=-1=f(3);
    [tex](f^{-1})'(b) = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(3))}[/tex] ----> [tex](f^{-1})'(b) = \frac{1}{f'(-1)}[/tex] ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook