What is the Derivative of the Scale Factor in Cosmology?

In summary, the conversation discusses the scale factor in cosmology, which is a function of time. The equation $$\frac{d}{da}(\dot{a}(t)^{-2})$$ is brought up and it is unclear if the derivative is 0 or something else. It is mentioned that the dot notation typically refers to the time derivative, and the chain rule and power rule may be applicable in this case. The conversation then delves into trying to prove an equation involving the scale factor and its derivative. It is suggested that the first order Friedmann equation may give the derivative as a function of the scale factor.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Derivative of Scale factor
Relevant Equations
None
In cosmology we have a scale factor that depends only on time ##a(t)##. Now how can I solve this thing

$$\frac{d}{da}(\dot{a}(t)^{-2}) = ?$$

Is it 0 ? Or something else ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
Homework Statement: Derivative of Scale factor
Homework Equations: None

In cosmology we have a scale factor that depends only on time ##a(t)##. Now how can I solve this thing

$$\frac{d}{da}(\dot{a}(t)^{-2}) = ?$$

Is it 0 ? Or something else ?
What is ##\dot a##? The usual meaning of dot notation is the time derivative of something.
If so, then ##\frac{d}{da}(\dot{a}(t)^{-2}) = \frac{d}{da}\left( (\frac {da}{dt})^{-2}\right)##, and the chain rule and power rule would be applicable.

If ##\dot a## means something else, then you'll need to give more of an explanation.

Mark44 said:
The usual meaning of dot notation is the time derivative of something
Yes time derivative.

Mark44 said:
chain rule and power rule would be applicable.
Hmm It seems like it gives something awkward ? When I tried to calculate it on the symbolab I get 0. (If I did not make mistake when I type the equation).

The first order Friedmann equation should give you ##\dot a## as a function of ##a##.

I am actually trying to prove that

$$\frac{d\Omega}{d\ln{a} } = (1+3\omega)\Omega(\Omega - 1) $$

$$\frac{d\Omega}{dln(a) } = \frac{d\Omega}{da} / \frac{dln(a)} {da}$$

$$\Omega(t)=\frac{ε(t)}{ε_c(t)}= \frac{8\pi Gε_0a^{-3-3w}}{3\dot{a}^2a^{-2}}$$
$$\Omega(t)=\frac{ε(t)}{ε_c(t)}= \frac{8\pi Gε_0a^{-1-3w}}{3\dot{a}^2}$$

$$\frac{d\Omega}{da} =\frac{d}{da}(\frac{8\pi Gε_0a^{-1-3w}}{3\dot{a}^2})$$

If you set

$$\frac{d}{da}(\dot{a}(t)^{-2}) = 0$$

I get $$\frac{d\Omega}{dln(a) } = -(1+3w)\Omega$$

So I was wandering about maybe $$\frac{d}{da}(\dot{a}(t)^{-2}) \ne 0$$

can solve the issue

Orodruin said:
The first order Friedmann equation should give you ##\dot a## as a function of ##a##.

So you are saying

$$\dot{a} = \sqrt{ \frac{ 8\pi Ga^{-1-3w}} {3}}$$
then

$$\frac{d}{da}(\dot{a}(t)^{-2}) = -2\dot{a}^{-3} \times \frac{a^{-2-3w}(-1-3w)}{2\sqrt{a^{-1-3w}}}$$ ?

1. What is the derivative of scale factor?

The derivative of scale factor is a measure of how much the scale factor changes per unit of time or another independent variable. It is the rate of change of the scale factor.

2. Why is the derivative of scale factor important?

The derivative of scale factor is important because it helps us understand the rate of expansion or contraction of a system. It also allows us to make predictions about the future behavior of the scale factor.

3. How is the derivative of scale factor calculated?

The derivative of scale factor can be calculated using calculus, specifically the derivative formula. It involves taking the limit as the change in the independent variable approaches zero.

4. What factors can affect the derivative of scale factor?

The derivative of scale factor can be affected by various factors, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or other external forces. It can also be influenced by the properties of the system itself, such as its elasticity or viscosity.

5. How does the derivative of scale factor relate to the expansion of the universe?

The derivative of scale factor is directly related to the expansion of the universe. As the scale factor increases, the derivative also increases, indicating a faster rate of expansion. Conversely, when the scale factor decreases, the derivative decreases, indicating a slower rate of expansion.