1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative of the product of 2 definite integrals

1. Aug 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find f'(x) for (integral from 0 to x of cos^5(t)dt)* (integral from x^2 to 1 of e^t^2 dt). No differentiation allowed in the answer
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution. I used the product rule and integrated then differentiated the first term --> cos^5x* integral of e, etc. but I'm stumped on what to do with the these one term. Obviously I leave it as is for the first part of the product rule. So it's the second half where I'm looking for the differential of the integral of e^t^2

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't have to integrate then differentiate. Use the fundamental theorem of calculus:$$
    \frac d {dx}\int_a^x f(t)\, dt = f(x)$$

4. Aug 4, 2012 #3
    I apologize for being so dense, but how does that apply to the stated answer for the quiz of cos^5(x) * integral with e + integral with cos^5(t) * (-2x)e^x^4 it's the answer for the last of the four terms in the result that's throwing me. To me, it seems the derivative of the integral of e^t^2 should just be e^x^2.

Thanks,

5. Aug 4, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have given me more information now, so I can see what your problem is. You need to use the chain rule:$$
    \frac d {dx}\int_{x^2}^1 e^{t^2}\ dt = -\frac d {dx}\int_{1}^{x^2} e^{t^2}\ dt$$
    You plug in the ##x^2## for the ##t## in ##e^{t^2}## but you must multiply by the derivative of ##x^2## using the chain rule. Some versions of Leibnitz rule show this.

6. Aug 4, 2012 #5
    [tex] ( \int {cos^t dt})[/tex] *([tex]\int{ e^t^2 dt) } [/tex]. I am trying out the text editor I just found on the site to see if I can more clearly write oute the problem. So I'll post to see if this comes out ok

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  7. Aug 4, 2012 #6
    Well my first attempts at using the editor aren't so good. I'm going to go take the laundry out of the dryer and sit and play with your answer for a While to make sure I know what's going on. And the reason you inverted the integral is because it went from a higher number to a lower one, right?

8. Aug 4, 2012 #7

eumyang

Homework Helper

You're mixing non-LaTeX symbols with the LaTeX commands. Just use one set of tex tags.
    What you want to type between the tex tags is this:
    \left( \int_{0}^{x} \cos^5 t\ dt \right) \cdot \left( \int_{x^2}^{1} e^{t^2}\ dt \right)
    Which gives you this:
    [tex]\left( \int_{0}^{x} \cos^5 t\ dt \right) \cdot \left( \int_{x^2}^{1} e^{t^2}\ dt \right)
    [/tex]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  9. Aug 4, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Dba18,

Here's how I go about remembering what to do with something like [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left( \int_{x^2}^{1} e^{t^2}\ dt \right)\ .[/itex]

Let G(t) be the anti derivative of [itex]\displaystyle e^{t^2}\,, [/itex] so that [itex]\displaystyle G\,'(t)=e^{t^2}\,, [/itex]

Then [itex]\displaystyle \int_{x^2}^{1} e^{t^2}\ dt =
    G(1)-G(x^2)\ .[/itex]

Therefore, [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left( \int_{x^2}^{1} e^{t^2}\ dt \right)=
    \frac{d}{dx}\left(G(1)-G(x^2)\right)=\underline{\ \ \ ?\ \ \ } \ .[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook