Derivative of Trig Functions: Solving for f'(x) and f(∏/6)

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake made when converting between radians and degrees while finding the derivative of a function. The mistake was corrected and the correct answer is (pi^2-12)/12. The conversation also clarifies the difference between pi radians and the number pi.
domyy

Homework Statement

x3 - sin 2x

Find f'(∏/6)

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x) = 3x2 - 2 cos 2x
f(∏/6) = 2700 - 2 [ (√3/2) ] ---> from 2 [ cos(∏/6)]

answer: 2700 - √3

My book has the answer as (∏2 - 12)/12

Physics news on Phys.org
Work in radians so...

3(pi^2/36) - 2cos2(pi/6)

(pi^2/12) - 1 = (pi^2-12)/12

I hope I helped :S

But is it wrong if I convert ∏/6 = 30 and work with that?

Umm when I put (pi/6) into the gradient function 3x^2 - 2 cos 2x

I get 3(pi/6)^2 which is 3 (pi^2/36) minus 2cos2(pi/6)

2 times pi/6 is pi/3 and the cos of pi/3 is 1/2 and 1/2 times 2 is 1.

so the whole thing ends up being (pi^2/12)- 1
1= 12/12
so the last line is (pi^2)-(12)/12

But isn't (∏)^2/12 = 2700 and 12/12 = 1

Wouldn't it be sort of equivalent to 2700 - sqrt of 3 (1.73) ?

That's what I am trying to understand. What's the difference if I work with 30 instead of ∏/6 ? Is it wrong? =/

Last edited:
Wait.. how did you get 2700?

Oh I was thinking of ∏ = 180.
Is it wrong? =/

ohhhhh lol yes it's wrong don't think of it like that. In questions
you're either working in radians or degrees . In this case it is radians.

So so pi/6 is not 180/6 , if it was degrees then it would be 30 degrees.

domyy said:
Oh I was thinking of ∏ = 180.
Is it wrong? =/

It is very, very wrong. Pi radians is 180 degrees yes. But the number pi is not equal to the number 180.

nr. pi = 3.14, right?
Good you clarified that. Now I won't make the same mistake :)
180 and 3.14 were sort of mixed in mind.
Thank you so much! =D

1. What is the general formula for finding the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The general formula for finding the derivative of a trigonometric function is: d/dx(sin x) = cos x and d/dx(cos x) = -sin x. This can be extended to other trig functions such as tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant using the quotient rule.

2. What is the process for finding the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The process for finding the derivative of a trigonometric function involves applying the chain rule and the derivative formulas for sine and cosine. First, rewrite the function in terms of sine and cosine. Then, apply the chain rule to find the derivative of the function. Finally, use the derivative formulas for sine and cosine to simplify the expression.

3. How does the derivative of a trigonometric function change with respect to the angle?

The derivative of a trigonometric function changes with respect to the angle based on the trigonometric identity d/dx(sin x) = cos x and d/dx(cos x) = -sin x. This means that the derivative of a trigonometric function is dependent on the value of the angle being evaluated.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the derivative of a trigonometric function?

Yes, there are special cases when finding the derivative of a trigonometric function. For example, when taking the derivative of tangent or cotangent, the quotient rule must be used. Also, when taking the derivative of secant or cosecant, the product rule must be used.

5. Why is it important to understand the derivative of trigonometric functions?

Understanding the derivative of trigonometric functions is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of these functions, which is useful in many applications, such as physics and engineering. It also helps us to better understand the behavior of these functions and their derivatives can be used to solve more complex problems involving trigonometric functions.