Product Rule for Derivatives: What Happens When Two Straight Lines Meet?

• Thread starter Feodalherren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating a combination of two piecewise linear functions and finding the geometric meaning of the derivative. It is concluded that for the given functions, f(1) = 2, f'(1) = 2, g(1) = 1, and g'(1) = -1, resulting in the derivative being 0 at x=1. The geometric meaning of the derivative is determined to be the instantaneous rate of change.
Feodalherren
wtf.jpg

I think the topic sums it up pretty well. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I figured it out now.

Is a)

u'(1) = f(1) g'(1) + g(1) f'(1)

= 0

?

Last edited:
They are piecewise functions.
So u(x) and v(x) will be piecewise functions aswell.
The intervals are (-∞,0), (0,2) and (2,∞)
(I assumed they don't change after the graph ends)

That's not the question though, they want me to differentiate a combination of the two.

I would do it in the following steps:
1) Find the functions f(x) and g(x), they're piecewise and linear.
2) Find the functions u(x) and v(x), they're also piece wise.
3) Derivate the functions.
4) Evaluate the u'(x) in 1 and v(x) in 5.

Feodalherren said:
Maybe I figured it out now.

Is a)

= 0

?

The beginning is good, but why zero in the end?

What is the geometric meaning of the derivative?

Feodalherren said:

That is correct. What are the values of f(1), f'(1), g(1) and g'(1)?

The meaning is instantaneous rate of change.

Lets see here

(2)(-1)+(1)(2) = 0
Still get it to zero.
f(1) = 2
g'(1) = -1

g(1) = 1
f'(1) = 2

For x between 0 and 2, the graph of f is the straight line between (0, 0) and (2, 4): f(x)= 2x. For x between 0 and 2, the graph of y is the straight line between (0, 2) and (2, 0): g(x)= 2- x. Their product is fg(x)= 2x(2- x)= 4x- 2x^2. (fg)'= 4- 2x and at x= 1, that is, indeed, 0.

1. What is the meaning of "Derivative of Wait What?"

The phrase "Derivative of Wait What?" is often used as a humorous way to express confusion or surprise. It is derived from the mathematical concept of a derivative, which represents the rate of change of a function at a given point.

2. How is the phrase "Derivative of Wait What?" related to science?

The phrase "Derivative of Wait What?" is related to science through its connection to the mathematical concept of a derivative. This concept is used to analyze the change or rate of change of various scientific phenomena, such as motion, temperature, and chemical reactions.

3. Is there a scientific explanation for why "Derivative of Wait What?" is a popular phrase?

There is no specific scientific explanation for the popularity of the phrase "Derivative of Wait What?" However, it is likely that its connection to the mathematical concept of a derivative, as well as its humorous and relatable nature, contribute to its widespread use.

4. Can the phrase "Derivative of Wait What?" be used in a serious scientific context?

While the phrase "Derivative of Wait What?" is primarily used in a humorous context, it can also be used in a serious scientific context. For example, it could be used to express surprise or confusion about unexpected or unusual results in a scientific experiment or analysis.

5. Are there any other phrases similar to "Derivative of Wait What?" that are commonly used in science?

There are many phrases commonly used in science that express surprise or confusion, such as "That's interesting," "I didn't expect that," or "Well, that's unexpected." While these phrases may not be directly related to the mathematical concept of a derivative, they are often used in scientific contexts to express similar sentiments as "Derivative of Wait What?".