Derivative operators in Galilean transformations

In summary, the conversation is discussing the transformation of coordinates under a Galilean transformation, specifically the relationship between derivatives and partial derivatives. The equations and algebraic solutions provided are incorrect because they treat x’ as a constant when differentiating with respect to x. In reality, t should be kept constant when taking the partial derivative.
TomServo
TL;DR Summary
I'm confused about how the derivative with respect to time transforms under a Galilean transformation.
I'm studying how derivatives and partial derivatives transform under a Galilean transformation.

On this page:

http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/wave_velocity.pdf

Equation (16) relies on ##\frac{\partial t'}{\partial x}=0## but ##\frac{\partial x'}{\partial t}=-v##

But this seems like a contradiction to me. If you swap primed/unprimed you get ##\frac{\partial t}{\partial x'}=0## but ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial t'}=v##, in which case you have ##x=vt+x_0## and ##t=t'=\frac{x-x_0}{v}##. Thus ##\frac{dt'}{dx}=\frac{\partial t'}{\partial x}=\frac{1}{v}##, in violation of Eq. (16).

So where have I gone wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
##t## is not given by ##(x-x_0)/v##, that can be true only for a very particular world-line and that is not what you are considering, you are considering the transformation of coordinates. ##\partial x/\partial t’ = v## is a partial differential, not a total differential.

Likes TomServo
The Galilei transformation reads
$$t'=t, \quad \vec{x}'=\vec{x}-\vec{v} t.$$
You consider ##t## and ##\vec{x}## as independent variables when it comes to (non-relativistic) field equations. Thus you have
$$\frac{\partial t'}{\partial t}=1, \quad \vec{\nabla} t'=0, \quad \partial_t \vec{x}'=-\vec{v}, \quad \vec{\nabla} \otimes \vec{x}=\hat{1}.$$

Orodruin said:
##t## is not given by ##(x-x_0)/v##, that can be true only for a very particular world-line and that is not what you are considering, you are considering the transformation of coordinates. ##\partial x/\partial t’ = v## is a partial differential, not a total differential.
Could you further explain what you mean here? I know what worldlines are, but it seems to me (just algebraically) that the ##t=\frac{x-x’}{v}## relation holds in general. After all, I’m just solving the transformation equation for t. I know this is wrong, but I’m trying to understand why the algebra leads me astray (or seems to).

And where I wrote ##x_0## originally I meant ##x’##.

Then you are treating x’ as a constant when differentiating with respect to x. That is incorrect. What is being kept constant when you take the partial with respect to x is t, not x’.

Likes TomServo

1. What are derivative operators in Galilean transformations?

Derivative operators in Galilean transformations are mathematical operators that represent the rate of change of a variable in a Galilean coordinate system. They are used to describe the transformation of coordinates between two frames of reference that are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other.

2. How are derivative operators used in Galilean transformations?

Derivative operators are used to calculate the transformation equations between two frames of reference in Galilean transformations. They are also used to describe the motion of objects in a Galilean coordinate system.

3. What is the difference between derivative operators in Galilean transformations and those in other coordinate systems?

The main difference is that derivative operators in Galilean transformations do not take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are significant in other coordinate systems such as special relativity. Galilean transformations only consider relative motion at constant velocities.

4. Can derivative operators be used in non-inertial frames of reference?

Yes, derivative operators can be used in non-inertial frames of reference, but they must be modified to account for the acceleration of the frame of reference. This is known as the Galilean acceleration transformation.

5. What are some applications of derivative operators in Galilean transformations?

Derivative operators in Galilean transformations are commonly used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of objects in a Galilean coordinate system. They are also used in engineering and physics to analyze systems with constant relative motion, such as projectiles and satellites.