Derivatives and Increments -help, again

• Thread starter Asphyxiated
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, we are asked to find f'(2) and the error estimate for f(x) = sqrt(x^2 + 1). We have already found f'(2) = 2/sqrt(5). To find the error estimate, we can use the equation E(\Delta x) = (1/2)f''(\xi) \Delta x, where \xi is some number between 2 and x. Since the global maximum value for f''(x) = 1/(x^2 + 1)^(3/2) is 1, we can estimate the error as (1/2) \Delta x. However, if we assume that \Delta x is less than 1, then
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

Find f'(c) and the error estimate for:

[tex] f(x)= \sqrt{x^{2}+1} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The error is given by:

[tex] E(\Delta x) = \frac {1}{2}M \Delta x [/tex]

and

[tex] f''(c) \leq M [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first derivative is:

[tex] f'(x) = \frac {x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}} [/tex]

and for the second derivative I got:

[tex] f''(x) = (x^{2}+1)^{-3/2} [/tex]

So for f'(c) I got:

[tex] f'(c) = \frac {2}{\sqrt{5}} [/tex]

which is correct in the back of the book but for the error i got:

[tex] f''(c) = 5^{-3/2} [/tex]

so

[tex] E(\Delta x) = \frac {1}{2} (5)^{-3/2} \Delta x \; \approx \; .04472 \Delta x[/tex]

but according to the book it is:

[tex] E(\Delta x) = \frac {1}{4\sqrt{2}} \Delta x \; \approx \; .17678 \Delta x [/tex]

I have done the second derivative over now a couple of times and still get the same answer but here is how i got f''(x):

[tex] f'(x) = \frac {x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}} [/tex]

[tex] f''(x) = \frac {(\sqrt{x^{2}+1}) (1) - (x) (\frac {x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}})} {(\sqrt{x^{2}+1})^{2}} [/tex]

which then boils down to:

[tex] f''(x) = \frac {\sqrt{x^{2}+1}- \frac {x^{2}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}}} {x^{2}+1} [/tex]

Next let's combine the terms on the top to get something like:

[tex] f''(x) = \frac {\frac{x^{2}+1-x^{2}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}}}{x^{2}+1} [/tex]

so x^2 will cancel on the top fraction to get:

[tex] f''(x) = \frac {\frac {1}{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}}}{x^{2} +1} [/tex]

and that can be rewritten as:

[tex] \frac {1}{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}} * \frac {1}{x^{2}+1} [/tex]

which can further be rewritten as:

[tex] (x^{2}+1)^{-1/2} * (x^{2}+1)^{-1} = (x^{2}+1)^{-3/2} [/tex]

so:

[tex] f''(x) = (x^{2}+1)^{-3/2} [/tex]

where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is M? For your error estimate you need a number M such that f''(x) <= M for all x in some interval.

What is c? You show values for f'(c) and f''(c) without ever saying what c is.
Asphyxiated said:
[tex] f'(c) = \frac {2}{\sqrt{5}} [/tex]
[tex] f''(c) = 5^{-3/2} [/tex]

Your result for f''(x) look fine.

Oh my bad, c = 2 and since:

[tex] f''(x) \leq M [/tex]

f''(c) = M so in this problem (as shown):

[tex] M = (x^{2}+1)^{-3/2} \; and \; with \; c=2, \; M=(5)^{-3/2} [/tex]

There are two parts to this problem:
1. Find f'(2)
2. Find the error estimate for f(x) = sqrt(x^2 + 1).

The first part you have already done.
For the second part, we can estimate f(x) by f(2) + f'(2)[itex]\Delta x[/itex]. The error in this estimate is E([itex]\Delta x[/itex]), the absolute value of which is equal to (1/2)f''([itex]\xi[/itex])[itex]\Delta x[/itex], for some number [itex]\xi[/itex] between 2 and x.

Since we don't know [itex]\xi[/itex] (the Greek letter xi), the best we can do is find the largest value of f''([itex]\xi[/itex]), which we'll call M.

As it turns out, the global maximum value for f''(x) = 1/(x^2 + 1)^(3/2) is 1, which is attained when x = 0. Since the answer in your book doesn't seem to be using that value, but seems to be using f''(1) instead, I suspect that the problem is assuming that [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is less than 1.

You neglected to include the fact that c was given as 2. Did you forget to mention another piece of given information?

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are financial instruments that derive their value from an underlying asset, such as stocks, bonds, commodities, or currencies. They can be used to manage risk or to speculate on future market movements.

2. What is the difference between forward and futures contracts?

Forward contracts are private agreements between two parties to buy or sell an asset at a specified price and date in the future. Futures contracts are standardized agreements traded on exchanges and have daily settlement and margin requirements.

3. How do I calculate the value of a derivative?

The value of a derivative is based on its underlying asset and factors such as time, interest rates, and volatility. It can be calculated using mathematical models, such as the Black-Scholes model, or through market data and pricing formulas.

4. What are the risks associated with trading derivatives?

Trading derivatives involves various risks, including market risk, counterparty risk, and liquidity risk. These risks can result in significant losses if not managed properly.

5. How can I learn more about derivatives and increments?

There are many resources available to learn about derivatives and increments, including books, online courses, and seminars. It is important to have a solid understanding of financial markets and risk management before trading derivatives.