Derivatives and Increments -help

• Thread starter Asphyxiated
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, the conversation is about finding f'(c) and the error estimate for the limit of a given function. The error is given by E(\Delta x) = (1/2)M \Delta x, and |f''(c)| \leq M. The function f(x) = 1/x is used to find f'(x) and f''(x), and the values of f'(c) and f''(c) are calculated to be -1/9 and 2/27 \Delta x, respectively. The error is determined to be 1/27 \Delta x, and the value of \Delta x is not specified in the given problem.
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

Find f'(c) and the error estimate for the limit:

[tex] f'(c) = \lim_{x \to 0^{+}} \frac {f(c+\Delta x) - f(c)}{\Delta x} [/tex]

I just included that to show that we are working with one (right) sided limit the actual problem is:

[tex] f(x) = \frac {1}{x} \;\; with\;\; c = 3[/tex]

Homework Equations

The error is given by:

[tex] E(\Delta x) = \frac {1}{2}M \Delta x [/tex]

and

[tex] |f''(c)| \leq M [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So this really quite simple, if:

[tex] f(x)= \frac {1}{x} [/tex]

then

[tex] f'(x) = -\frac{1}{x^{2}} [/tex]

and

[tex] f''(x) = \frac {2}{x^{3}}[/tex]

so

[tex] f'(c) = -\frac{1}{9} [/tex]

and

[tex] f''(c) = \frac {2}{27} \Delta x[/tex]

but according to the book the error is suppose to be 1/27 which doesn't really make sense to me. I got f''(x) like so:

[tex] \frac {(x^{2})(0)-(-1)(2x)}{(x^{2})^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {2x}{x^{4}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {2}{x^{3}} [/tex]

where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Asphyxiated said:

Homework Statement

Find f'(c) and the error estimate for the limit:

[tex] f'(c) = \lim_{x \to 0^{+}} \frac {f(c+\Delta x) - f(c)}{\Delta x} [/tex]

I just included that to show that we are working with one (right) sided limit the actual problem is:

[tex] f(x) = \frac {1}{x} \;\; with\;\; c = 3[/tex]

Homework Equations

The error is given by:

[tex] E(\Delta x) = \frac {1}{2}M \Delta x [/tex]

and

[tex] |f''(c)| \leq M [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So this really quite simple, if:

[tex] f(x)= \frac {1}{x} [/tex]

then

[tex] f'(x) = -\frac{1}{x^{2}} [/tex]

and

[tex] f''(x) = \frac {2}{x^{3}}[/tex]

so

[tex] f'(c) = -\frac{1}{9} [/tex]

and

[tex] f''(c) = \frac {2}{27} \Delta x[/tex]

but according to the book the error is suppose to be 1/27 which doesn't really make sense to me. I got f''(x) like so:

[tex] \frac {(x^{2})(0)-(-1)(2x)}{(x^{2})^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {2x}{x^{4}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {2}{x^{3}} [/tex]

where did I go wrong?
What are you using for [itex] \Delta x[/itex]? I looked pretty closely and didn't see it anywhere.

Ah yeah, that is probably a little confusing, right now [tex]\; \Delta x \; [/tex] does not have a value as the first problems of the chapter only ask me to find f'(c) and the error. [tex] \Delta x \; [/tex] will only take on a value in the later problems which as for an estimated value for something like:

[tex] \sqrt{65} [/tex]

I guess you could take [itex]\Delta x[/itex] to be 1, so that x is in the interval [3, 4]. (You said in your OP that you were interested in the right-hand limit.) In this interval, the largest value of f''(x) = 2/x3 is 2/27, which occurs when x = 3. This is because f''(x) is a decreasing function on this interal.

Then E([itex]\Delta x[/itex]) = (1/2)M [itex]\Delta x[/itex] = ?

Oh ok I see now mark44, I simply forgot to times M by 1/2 so yeah:

[tex] E(\Delta x) = \frac {1}{2} \frac{2}{27} \Delta x = \frac {1}{27} \Delta x [/tex]

Note that [tex] \; \Delta x \; [/tex] is not 1, it does not have a value at this point in the exercises. The correct answer in the back is written as:

[tex] f'(c) = -\frac {1}{9},\;\;\; error= \frac {1}{27} \Delta x [/tex]

Thanks, I just needed to pay more attention.

Also, you said in the first post that the error was given in the back of the book as 1/27, rather than 1/27 * delta x. That threw me off.

Yeah I realized that... I apologize for any confusion do to that.

FAQ: Derivatives and Increments -help

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are financial instruments that derive their value from an underlying asset, such as stocks, commodities, or currencies. They are used for risk management and speculation, and their value is based on the expected future price movements of the underlying asset.

2. How do derivatives work?

Derivatives work by allowing investors to enter into contracts based on the expected future price of an underlying asset. These contracts can be bought and sold on exchanges, and their prices are determined by supply and demand. When the price of the underlying asset changes, the value of the derivative also changes.

3. What are the types of derivatives?

There are several types of derivatives, including options, futures, forwards, and swaps. Options give the holder the right, but not the obligation, to buy or sell an underlying asset at a predetermined price. Futures and forwards are contracts to buy or sell an asset at a future date for a predetermined price. Swaps involve the exchange of cash flows based on the performance of an underlying asset.

4. What are the risks associated with derivatives?

Derivatives can be complex financial instruments, and as such, they carry a high level of risk. The biggest risk is the potential for significant losses if the price of the underlying asset moves in an unexpected direction. There is also counterparty risk, where one party may not fulfill their obligations in the derivative contract.

5. How can I use derivatives in my investment portfolio?

Derivatives can be used in a variety of ways in an investment portfolio. They can be used to hedge against potential losses, to speculate on the direction of an asset's price, or to generate income. However, it is important to understand the risks and have a solid understanding of how derivatives work before incorporating them into your portfolio.