1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives and Increments -help

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find f'(c) and the error estimate for the limit:

[tex] f'(c) = \lim_{x \to 0^{+}} \frac {f(c+\Delta x) - f(c)}{\Delta x} [/tex]

I just included that to show that we are working with one (right) sided limit the actual problem is:

[tex] f(x) = \frac {1}{x} \;\; with\;\; c = 3[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

The error is given by:

[tex] E(\Delta x) = \frac {1}{2}M \Delta x [/tex]

and

[tex] |f''(c)| \leq M [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So this really quite simple, if:

[tex] f(x)= \frac {1}{x} [/tex]

then

[tex] f'(x) = -\frac{1}{x^{2}} [/tex]

and

[tex] f''(x) = \frac {2}{x^{3}}[/tex]

so

[tex] f'(c) = -\frac{1}{9} [/tex]

and

[tex] f''(c) = \frac {2}{27} \Delta x[/tex]

but according to the book the error is suppose to be 1/27 which doesnt really make sense to me. I got f''(x) like so:

[tex] \frac {(x^{2})(0)-(-1)(2x)}{(x^{2})^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {2x}{x^{4}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac {2}{x^{3}} [/tex]

where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What are you using for [itex] \Delta x[/itex]? I looked pretty closely and didn't see it anywhere.

4. Aug 4, 2010 #3
    Ah yeah, that is probably a little confusing, right now [tex]\; \Delta x \; [/tex] does not have a value as the first problems of the chapter only ask me to find f'(c) and the error. [tex] \Delta x \; [/tex] will only take on a value in the later problems which as for an estimated value for something like:

[tex] \sqrt{65} [/tex]

5. Aug 4, 2010 #4

Mark44

I guess you could take [itex]\Delta x[/itex] to be 1, so that x is in the interval [3, 4]. (You said in your OP that you were interested in the right-hand limit.) In this interval, the largest value of f''(x) = 2/x3 is 2/27, which occurs when x = 3. This is because f''(x) is a decreasing function on this interal.

Then E([itex]\Delta x[/itex]) = (1/2)M [itex]\Delta x[/itex] = ?

6. Aug 4, 2010 #5
    Oh ok I see now mark44, I simply forgot to times M by 1/2 so yeah:

[tex] E(\Delta x) = \frac {1}{2} \frac{2}{27} \Delta x = \frac {1}{27} \Delta x [/tex]

Note that [tex] \; \Delta x \; [/tex] is not 1, it does not have a value at this point in the exercises. The correct answer in the back is written as:

[tex] f'(c) = -\frac {1}{9},\;\;\; error= \frac {1}{27} \Delta x [/tex]

Thanks, I just needed to pay more attention.

7. Aug 4, 2010 #6

Mark44

Also, you said in the first post that the error was given in the back of the book as 1/27, rather than 1/27 * delta x. That threw me off.

8. Aug 4, 2010 #7
    Yeah I realized that... I apologize for any confusion do to that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook