How do you find the second derivative of a function using the chain rule?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the second derivative of a given function using the chain rule and the attempt to solve it. The conversation also includes a mistake in the calculation and the correct steps to get the final answer of $$\frac{-81}{y^3}$$.
physics604

Homework Statement

Find the second derivative of $$9x^2+y^2=9$$

Homework Equations

Chain rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the first derivative first.

$$18x+2y\frac{dy}{dx}=0$$ $$\frac{dy}{dx}=-9\frac{x}{y}$$

I then find the second derivative.

$$-9(\frac{y-x\frac{d'y}{dx''}}{y^2})$$ $$y^2=-9y+9x\frac{d'y}{dx''}$$ $$y^2+9y=9x\frac{d'y}{dx''}$$ $$\frac{d'y}{dx''}=\frac{y^2+9y}{9x}=\frac{y(y+9)}{9x}$$

My textbook says that the answer should be $$\frac{-81}{y^3}$$ What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I got it! I should be plugging in y' into my equation for y''.

I actually still need help.

When I plug in the y' into y'' I still don't get the right answer.

$$\frac{-9y-9x\frac{dy}{dx}}{y^2}$$ $$=\frac{-9y-9x(-\frac{9x}{y})}{y^2}$$ $$=\frac{-9y+\frac{81x^2}{y}}{y^2}$$

This is still not the answer. What did I do wrong now?

physics604 said:
I actually still need help.

When I plug in the y' into y'' I still don't get the right answer.

$$\frac{-9y-9x\frac{dy}{dx}}{y^2}$$ $$=\frac{-9y-9x(-\frac{9x}{y})}{y^2}$$ $$=\frac{-9y+\frac{81x^2}{y}}{y^2}$$

This is still not the answer. What did I do wrong now?

First correct a sign error in your numerator. Then multiply numerator and denominator by y. Then use your original function to simplify the numerator.

I'm sorry, but I don't get what you mean. When I multiply the numerator and denominator by y I get

$$\frac{-9y^2+81x^2}{y^3}$$

physics604 said:
I'm sorry, but I don't get what you mean. When I multiply the numerator and denominator by y I get

$$\frac{-9y^2+81x^2}{y^3}$$

I edited my post when I realized you had a sign error in the numerator. Find it and fix it.

Okay, so I've fixed the sign error and multiplied the top and bottom by y. Now I have this

$$\frac{-9y^2-81x^2}{y^3}$$

The most I can do is factor out the -9, but I still don't get the correct answer.

physics604 said:
Okay, so I've fixed the sign error and multiplied the top and bottom by y. Now I have this

$$\frac{-9y^2-81x^2}{y^3}$$

The most I can do is factor out the -9, but I still don't get the correct answer.

Your original function says y^2+9x^2=9. Use that to simplify the numerator.

Likes 1 person
Okay I got it! Thanks so much!

$$\frac{-9(y^2+9x^2)}{y^3}=\frac{-9(9)}{y^3}=\frac{-81}{y^3}$$

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It measures how much a function changes as its input changes.

2. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function, where one function is applied to the output of another function. It allows us to calculate the derivative of a more complex function by breaking it down into simpler functions.

3. How do you use the chain rule to find a derivative?

To use the chain rule, you first need to identify the inner function and the outer function of the composite function. Then, you can apply the formula: (derivative of outer function) * (derivative of inner function).

4. What is the purpose of the chain rule?

The chain rule is used to find the derivative of composite functions, which are functions that are made up of multiple simpler functions. It allows us to calculate the rate of change of more complex functions and is an essential tool in many areas of mathematics and science.

5. Can the chain rule be applied to any composite function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any composite function, as long as the inner and outer functions are both differentiable. It is a general rule that can be used for various types of composite functions, such as polynomial, exponential, and trigonometric functions.