Derivatives: The Method of Increments

• Thread starter camdenreslink
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the book "Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" by Kline for brushing up on calculus skills. The method for finding derivatives is explained and compared to the traditional method taught in a calculus class. The use of notation and the missing steps in the book's explanation are also mentioned.
camdenreslink
I am using this book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486404536/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach by: Kline

I've already finished Calc I and II, but I'm brushing up on my skills because I don't feel entirely confident about them.

This is what the method says to do to find a derivative:

[tex]s = 10t^2[/tex] given [tex]t=3[/tex]

[tex]s_{3} + \Delta s = 10(3 + \Delta t)^2[/tex]

[tex]s_{3} + \Delta s = 90 + 60\Delta t + 10\Delta t^2[/tex]
[tex] - (s_{3} = 90) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{\Delta s}{\Delta t} = \frac{60 \Delta t + 10 \Delta t^2}{\Delta t}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{\Delta s}{\Delta t}} = 60 + 10 \Delta t [/tex]

[tex]lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \displaystyle{\frac{\Delta s}{\Delta t}} = 60[/tex]

I understand the method and have finished all of the practice problems in the book, but I'm having trouble linking this with the way I was taught to derive in my calculus class with

[tex]lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(a + h) - f(a)}{h}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I really hate his abuse of notation, using s3 for s(3). There seem to be a lot of steps missing, which might make it difficult to follow his logic.

For example, [itex]\Delta s[/itex] = s(3 + [itex]\Delta t[/itex]) - s(3) = 10(3 + [itex]\Delta t[/itex])2 - 90
= 90 + 60 [itex]\Delta t[/itex] + 10 ( [itex]\Delta t[/itex])2 - 90
= 60 [itex]\Delta t[/itex] + 10 ( [itex]\Delta t[/itex])2

Dividing by delta t gives you this, the same as above:
[tex]\frac{\Delta s}{\Delta t}} = 60 + 10 \Delta t [/tex]

Finally, take the limit to get ds/dt.

Delta t in his exposition is the same as h in what you're used to. Hopefully, my explanation will help you understand the parallels between the two approaches.

Related to Derivatives: The Method of Increments

1. What is the "Method of Increments?"

The Method of Increments is a mathematical technique used to approximate the value of a function by breaking it down into smaller, simpler parts and then adding them together.

2. How does the "Method of Increments" work?

First, the function is divided into smaller intervals or increments. Then, the value of the function at each endpoint of the increment is calculated and multiplied by the width of the increment. Finally, these values are added together to get an approximation of the function's value over the entire interval.

3. What are the advantages of using the "Method of Increments?"

The Method of Increments allows for a more accurate approximation of a function compared to other methods, such as using only the midpoint of the interval. It also allows for more flexibility in choosing the size of the increments, which can result in a more precise approximation.

4. In what situations is the "Method of Increments" commonly used?

This method is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to approximate complex functions that cannot be easily solved analytically.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Method of Increments?"

Like any other approximation method, the accuracy of the Method of Increments depends on the size of the increments chosen. Choosing very small increments can result in a more accurate approximation, but it also requires more computational effort. Additionally, this method may not work well for functions with sharp changes or discontinuities.