Deriving 3+1 Metrics from General P+Q Metric

• Thread starter amnoob
  • Start date
In summary: My personal opinion (feel free to ignore it): I can't make sense out of it, and I can't say I like theories that reqiure groups with 3 digits -- like SO(128, C) :eek: Best,
amnoob
Hi,

I've got the following question: were there any efforts to derive 3+1 metrics from the general p+q one? Any links?

Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi amnoob,

I came across this paper some while ago

On the origin of the difference between time and space
Authors: C.Wetterich
http://xxx.lanl.gov/ps/hep-th/0405223

We suggest that the difference between time and space is due to spontaneous symmetry breaking. In a theory with spinors the signature of the metric is related to the signature of the Lorentz-group. We discuss a higher symmetry that contains pseudo-orthogonal groups with arbitrary signature as subgroups. The fundamental asymmetry between time and space arises then as a property of the ground state rather than being put into the formulation of the theory a priori. We show how the complex structure of quantum field theory as well as gravitational field equations arise from spinor gravity - a fundamental spinor theory without a metric.

My personal opinion (feel free to ignore it): I can't make sense out of it, and I can't say I like theories that reqiure groups with 3 digits -- like SO(128, C) :eek:

B.

PS: good question btw

amnoob said:
Hi,

I've got the following question: were there any efforts to derive 3+1 metrics from the general p+q one? Any links?

Thanks in advance...

Doesn't it come from the simple fact that there exists the max speed, which module should be preserved in all inertial frames? Then a simple calculus shows what is the invariant element. Heuristically:

(dx/dt)^2=c^2=(dx'/dt')^2 <=> (cdt)^2-dx^2=(cdt')^2-dx'^2

best,
jarek

Last edited:
amnoob said:
Hi,

Thanks in advance...
Hi amnoob,

Two answers :
(a) suppose you would start out with a (2,2) metric, sure you get out a
(1,3) metric by Wick rotation of one of the time coordinates.
(b) the (1,3) (or in general (1,q)) metric is the only one compatible with a partial order - that is causality.

Cheers,

Careful

hossi said:
Hi amnoob,

I came across this paper some while ago

On the origin of the difference between time and space
Authors: C.Wetterich
http://xxx.lanl.gov/ps/hep-th/0405223

We suggest that the difference between time and space is due to spontaneous symmetry breaking. In a theory with spinors the signature of the metric is related to the signature of the Lorentz-group. We discuss a higher symmetry that contains pseudo-orthogonal groups with arbitrary signature as subgroups. The fundamental asymmetry between time and space arises then as a property of the ground state rather than being put into the formulation of the theory a priori. We show how the complex structure of quantum field theory as well as gravitational field equations arise from spinor gravity - a fundamental spinor theory without a metric.
For a work with a similar title attempting to answer a similar question see also
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9901045

Related to Deriving 3+1 Metrics from General P+Q Metric

1. What is the purpose of deriving 3+1 metrics from general P+Q metric?

The purpose of deriving 3+1 metrics from general P+Q metric is to provide a mathematical framework for studying the geometry and dynamics of spacetime. This allows for a better understanding of the laws of physics and the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. How do you derive 3+1 metrics from general P+Q metric?

To derive 3+1 metrics from general P+Q metric, one must first use a process called the Arnowitt-Deser-Misner (ADM) decomposition to split the metric into four-dimensional spacetime and three-dimensional space and time. Then, by applying the 3+1 splitting, the metric can be expressed as a sum of a spatial metric and a lapse function and shift vector that describe the evolution of the spatial geometry over time.

3. What are the properties of 3+1 metrics?

3+1 metrics have several important properties, including being diffeomorphism invariant, manifestly covariant, and gauge-invariant. This means that they are independent of the coordinate system used and can be used to describe the geometry and dynamics of spacetime without being affected by the choice of coordinates.

4. How are 3+1 metrics used in the study of general relativity?

3+1 metrics are an essential tool in the study of general relativity. They allow for the formulation of Einstein's equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy. By using 3+1 metrics, scientists can analyze the dynamics of spacetime and make predictions about the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

5. What are some applications of 3+1 metrics in physics?

3+1 metrics have a wide range of applications in physics, including in the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and cosmology. They are also used in numerical simulations to model the behavior of complex systems, such as colliding galaxies or the early universe. Additionally, 3+1 metrics are important for understanding the structure and evolution of our own universe and for developing theories that unify general relativity with other fundamental forces, such as the theory of quantum mechanics.