Deriving addition of sines from Euler's formula

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the addition of sines from Euler's formula. The speaker has found a derivation using the full Euler's formula, but wants to do it using just sine. They have provided their own attempt at a solution and have two questions about the result. They also provide a link to a page with the desired derivations.
Roo2
Deriving addition of sines from Euler's formula (edit: please ignore)

Homework Statement

I'd like to derive the value of sin(2πkt + θ) so that I can convince myself that the Fourier sum in terms of sines and cosines works. I found the derivation on Wolfram by using the full Euler's formula and equating reals and imaginaries, but I'd like to do it from just sine. I think I did it but I'm confused about the implications. Could someone straighten me out?

Homework Equations

[itex]e^{ix}[/itex] = cos(x) + isin(x)

sin(x) = [itex]\frac{e^{ix} - e^{-ix}}{2i}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

sin(2πkt + θ) = [itex]\frac{e^{i(2πkt + θ)} - e^{-i(2πkt + θ)}}{2i}[/itex]

= [itex]\frac{e^{i2πkt}e^{iθ} - e^{-i2πkt}e^{-iθ}}{2i}[/itex]

= [itex]\frac{ae^{i2πkt} - be^{-i2πkt}}{2i}[/itex]

= [itex]\frac{acos(2πkt) + aisin(2πkt) - bcos(2πkt) + bisin(2πkt)}{2i}[/itex]

= [itex]\frac{(a-b)cos(2πkt) + (a+b)isin(2πkt)}{2i}[/itex]

= [itex]\frac{(a-b)}{2i}cos(2πkt) + \frac{(a+b)}{2}sin(2πkt)[/itex]

= [itex]\frac{i(b-a)}{2}cos(2πkt) + \frac{(a+b)}{2}sin(2πkt)[/itex]

= [itex]\frac{i(e^{-iθ}-e^{iθ})}{2}cos(2πkt) + \frac{(e^{iθ}+e^{-iθ})}{2}sin(2πkt)[/itex]

------------------------
Edit: Wow, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize that the first coefficient evaluates to sin(θ) while the second evaluates to cos(θ), thereby proving the sum of angles rule. Please ignore my questions. I'll refrain from deleting this thread so that if someone Googles a similar question they'll find the above derivation.
------------------------

I have two questions now:

1: Is my math right? Did I arrive at the correct result? The lecture I'm looking at only says that sin(2πkt + θ) = acos(2πkt) + bsin(2πkt), but I wanted to derive the whole thing so that I could appreciate it.

2: It seems to me that the coefficients of the cos + sin representation should be complex except for in special cases. How, then, can the sum of such waves represent a real wave? Perhaps you could only take the real part of each component of the sum, but that leaves "extra" information in the complex planes. How is this avoided?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. How is Euler's formula related to addition of sines?

Euler's formula is a mathematical equation that relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions. It states that eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where i is the imaginary unit. By plugging in specific values for x and manipulating the formula, we can derive the addition of sines formula.

2. What is the addition of sines formula?

The addition of sines formula states that sin(a) + sin(b) = 2*sin((a+b)/2)*cos((a-b)/2). This formula is useful in solving trigonometric equations and can be derived from Euler's formula.

3. Can you provide an example of deriving addition of sines from Euler's formula?

Sure! Let's say we want to find the sum of sin(2π/3) + sin(π/3). We can use Euler's formula to rewrite this as (cos(2π/3) + i*sin(2π/3)) + (cos(π/3) + i*sin(π/3)). Simplifying this, we get (-1/2 + i*√3/2) + (1/2 + i*√3/2). Combining like terms, we get 0 + 2i*√3/2 = i*√3. Using the inverse sine function, we can convert this back to sin(π/2 + i*ln(√3)), which is equivalent to sin(π/2)*cos(i*ln(√3)) + cos(π/2)*sin(i*ln(√3)). Simplifying further, we get sin(π/2)*cosh(ln(√3)) + cos(π/2)*sinh(ln(√3)) = cosh(ln(√3)) = √(3/2). Therefore, sin(2π/3) + sin(π/3) = √(3/2).

4. Why is it important to derive addition of sines from Euler's formula?

Deriving the addition of sines formula from Euler's formula allows us to understand the fundamental relationship between complex numbers and trigonometric functions. It also helps us solve more complex trigonometric equations and problems.

5. Are there other ways to derive the addition of sines formula?

Yes, there are other ways to derive the addition of sines formula. One common method is to use the trigonometric identity sin(a+b) = sin(a)*cos(b) + cos(a)*sin(b) and apply it to the sum of two sines. Another method is to use the geometric interpretation of complex numbers and Euler's formula to derive the addition of sines formula.