Deriving centroid of quarter circle.

Remember to always double check your work and be careful with your calculations. Keep up the good work!In summary, the conversation was about finding the centroid of a region cut from the first quadrant by a circle with radius a. The solution involved using the formula y' = (I y dA)/(I dA) and solving for the definite integral, which led to a^(3/2)/3. After some calculations and double checking, the mistake was found to be missing a square root in the formula.
txpc

Homework Statement

Find the centroid of the region cut from the first quadrant by the circle x^2+y^2=a^2

Homework Equations

I know that y' = (I y dA)/(I dA)

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking a strip dy with length x, I obtain dA = dy.x dy(a^2-y^2)^(1/2)

So I y DA = I y*(a^2-y^2)^(1/2) dy from a->0

This integral leads to a^(3/2)/3

Now, I dA is simply 1/4 the area of a circle radius a = a^2.pi/4

By dividing these 2 values, I obtain 4/3.pi.sqrt(a) instead of 4a/3pi which means I'm off by a sqrt a somewhere which I can't seem to figure out the error, I think the best bet would be the definite integral giving a^(3/2)/3 but even after plugging it in a few integrators, it comes out the same.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT :

Oh dear me, I'm so silly. Forgot it was (a^2)^3/2 !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good thing you figured it out on your own.

1) What is the definition of a centroid?

A centroid is the geometric center of a shape, where all the mass of the shape is evenly distributed. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2) How is the centroid of a quarter circle derived?

The centroid of a quarter circle can be derived by using the formula (4*R)/(3*π), where R is the radius of the quarter circle. This formula is derived by dividing the moment of inertia of the quarter circle by its area.

3) What is the importance of finding the centroid of a quarter circle?

Finding the centroid of a quarter circle is important in engineering and physics applications, as it helps in determining the stability and balance of structures and objects. It also aids in calculating the moments of inertia for rotational motion.

4) How is the centroid of a quarter circle different from that of a full circle?

The centroid of a quarter circle is located at a distance of (π/4)*R from the center of the circle, while the centroid of a full circle is located at the center of the circle. This is because a quarter circle has a smaller area and a different distribution of mass compared to a full circle.

5) Can the formula for finding the centroid of a quarter circle be applied to other shapes?

No, the formula for finding the centroid of a quarter circle is specific to that shape only. Other shapes have their own formulas for determining the centroid, based on their area and distribution of mass.