Deriving Equations for Light Sphere in Collinear Motion - O and O' Observers

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter cfrogue
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Light Sphere
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
592 replies · 63K views
cfrogue said:
The only problem is that these two origins do not remain coincident because of the relative motion of O'.

What problem? In each frame the sphere is centered around this frame's origin, and NOT AROUND BOTH ORIGINS IN ONE FRAME. Therefore It doesn't matter if they remain coincident.

cfrogue said:
Does this make sense?
Your 'problems' here? No, they don't make sense to me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A.T. said:
What problem? In each frame the sphere is centered around this frame's origin, and NOT AROUND BOTH ORIGINS IN ONE FRAME. Therefore It doesn't matter if they remain coincident.

In each frame the sphere is centered around this frame's origin, and NOT AROUND BOTH ORIGINS IN ONE FRAME. Therefore It doesn't matter if they remain coincident.

What is "this"?
 
Jorrie said:
One last comment for now...

No, when the light is emitted, the light source is at (0,0) in all frames, not at vt.

Please reread previous posts again: origins (and events) do not move - objects move...

It is true that you can define an origin anywhere, by setting clocks to zero. However, in the scenario sketched, the origins are fixed and do not move with time - they are defined at t=0 and that's that.

Thanks.

If I have a light source in a frame and emit the light, the light travels to equidistant points in the same time t = d/c.

Is this correct?
 
A.T. said:
What problem? In each frame the sphere is centered around this frame's origin, and NOT AROUND BOTH ORIGINS IN ONE FRAME. Therefore It doesn't matter if they remain coincident.


Your 'problems' here? No, they don't make sense to me.


In each frame the sphere is centered around this frame's origin, and NOT AROUND BOTH ORIGINS IN ONE FRAME. Therefore It doesn't matter if they remain coincident.

So, you are saying the light sphere is centered at the origin of each frame. Yet, the frames' origins separate by vt after any time t.

It is plain and simple logic that this implies there are two different light sphere origins.
 
cfrogue said:
I just just wondering if you agree with Jorrie that the light expands spherically from x',t' (0,0) in O'?
As I have mentioned before, I think the best way to describe it is as a single cone in 4D with the apex of the cone at the flash event. I prefer that description rather than a set of 3D spheres at different times with expanding radii, but essentially yes, I agree with Jorrie.

cfrogue said:
Dale, may I ask you if you agree with the below based on your diagram? I did not hijack this language, it is mine.

Let O and O' be two objects and let there be one light sphere. Let E(O) mean object O was struck by the light sphere.

According to the logic of the light cone, one and only one of the following trichotomy holds:
1) Object O is struck by the light sphere before object O' written as E(O) < E(O')
2) Object O is struck by the light sphere after object O' written as E(O) > E(O')
3) Both O and O' were struck by the light sphere but neither condition 1 or 2 were ever true, written as E(O) = E(O')

This trichotomy is just a restatement of causality as implemented by the light cone. Also, no observers in the universe can disagree on the ordinality of events as determined by one light sphere. This would be a violation of causality. Thus, given two events E(O) and E(O'), one and only one of the three above conditions is valid. Whichever one of the three is valid, that same condition applies to all observers in the universe.
No, this is not correct. For instance, let's say that the unprimed object is at rest in the unprimed frame at x=1, and let's say that the primed object is at rest in the primed frame (moving at v=0.6c in the unprimed frame) at the position x'=-1. You can easily see the event where the yellow light cone line intersects the black x=1 line, this event occurs at t=1 in the unprimed coordinates and at t'=0.5 in the primed coordinates. You can also easily see the event where the yellow light cone intersects the white x'=-1 line, this event occurs at t=0.5 in the unprimed and at t'=1 in the primed coordinates. So the two frames disagree about the order of the events.

All reference frames agree that the event of the flash came before either object being struck by the light cone because those events are lightlike separated, but the events of two different objects being struck by the light cone is, in general, spacelike separated and therefore the order will vary in different reference frames. I believe that we had a discussion about this exact subject in a different thread, perhaps it will help to have the diagram.
 
Last edited:
DaleSpam said:
No, this is not correct. For instance, let's say that the unprimed object is at rest in the unprimed frame at x=1, and let's say that the primed object is at rest in the primed frame (moving at v=0.6c in the unprimed frame) at the position x'=-1. You can easily see the event where the yellow light cone line intersects the black x=1 line, this event occurs at t=1 in the unprimed coordinates and at t'=0.5 in the primed coordinates. You can also easily see the event where the yellow light cone intersects the white x'=-1 line, this event occurs at t=0.5 in the unprimed and at t'=1 in the primed coordinates. So the two frames disagree about the order of the events.

All reference frames agree that the event of the flash came before either object being struck by the light cone because those events are lightlike separated, but the events of two different objects being struck by the light cone is, in general, spacelike separated and therefore the order will vary in different reference frames. I believe that we had a discussion about this exact subject in a different thread, perhaps it will help to have the diagram.

No, I do not need diagrams. I am trying to determine positions of logic.

OK, now your diagram has the center of the light cone at the origin of O and also at O', is this correct.
 
http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/sr/paradox.html

Look at the two dimensional spatial planes which show what you see in a two dimensional space diagram and how it relates to spacetime via sections through the light cone.

Matheinste.
 
cfrogue said:
OK, now your diagram has the center of the light cone at the origin of O and also at O', is this correct.
Yes, you can see that the flash (the intersection of the yellow lines) is at the intersection of the x=0 and t=0 lines, and also at the intersection of the x'=0 and t'=0 lines. The apex of the light cone is therefore at the origin of both frames.
 
matheinste said:
http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/sr/paradox.html

Look at the two dimensional spatial planes which show what you see in a two dimensional space diagram and how it relates to spacetime via sections through the light cone.

Matheinste.

Here's a clue. Cerulean's concept of space and time may not be the same as Vermilion's.

Yea, let's see the math.
I will reword this above,
Cerulean's concept of space and time may not be the same as Vermilion's
and
Vermilion'sconcept of space and time may not be the same as Cerulean's

It is reciprocal.

I have the math when anyone is ready.
 
DaleSpam said:
Yes, you can see that the flash (the intersection of the yellow lines) is at the intersection of the x=0 and t=0 lines, and also at the intersection of the x'=0 and t'=0 lines. The apex of the light cone is therefore at the origin of both frames.

OK, now the light sphere remains centered at O and also at O' in your diagram and O and O' are also diverging at vt.

Is this all correct?
 
cfrogue said:
Here's a clue. Cerulean's concept of space and time may not be the same as Vermilion's.

Yea, let's see the math.
I will reword this above,
Cerulean's concept of space and time may not be the same as Vermilion's
and
Vermilion'sconcept of space and time may not be the same as Cerulean's

It is reciprocal.

I have the math when anyone is ready.

If you know the answers why are you asking us.

Anyway, enlighten us. Show us your mathematics.

Matheinste.
 
matheinste said:
If you know the answers why are you asking us.

Anyway, enlighten us. Show us your mathematics.

Matheinste.

May I use rods?
 
cfrogue said:
May I use rods?

Just mathematics will do.

But if you must use rods then do so. Rods can be tricky things.

Matheinste.
 
matheinste said:
Just mathematics will do.

But if you must use rods then do so. Rods can be tricky things.

Matheinste.

Each frame agrees on a rest distance of d for two rods one for each frame.

We will label the endpoints of the rods as L, R, L' and R'.

A light source is centered on the rod of O'.

When the two rods happen to be centered and O' is moving in relative motion, the light is flashed from the light source of O'.

Now, in the frame of O, t(L) = t(R) by the light postulate, t(x) means light strikes the point.

In O', t'(L') = t'(R')


any disagreements?
 
cfrogue said:
Each frame agrees on a rest distance of d for two rods one for each frame.

We will label the endpoints of the rods as L, R, L' and R'.

A light source is centered on the rod of O'.

When the two rods happen to be centered and O' is moving in relative motion, the light is flashed from the light source of O'.

Now, in the frame of O, t(L) = t(R) by the light postulate, t(x) means light strikes the point.

In O', t'(L') = t'(R')


any disagreements?

No. That is unfair. Can we stick to the original problem which many of us have spent a lot of time on..

The above scenario is taken from a book which I have recently read. I'm just trying to find it to see if its word for word. I think off hand that it is Petkov.

Matheinste.
 
A near version of your new scenario appears in Relativity and the Nature of Spacetime by Petkov. Around page 40. But I have no doubt it appears elsewhere also.

Matheinste.
 
matheinste said:
No. That is unfair. Can we stick to the original problem which many of us have spent a lot of time on..

The above scenario is taken from a book which I have recently read. I'm just trying to find it to see if its word for word. I think off hand that it is Petkov.

Matheinste.

I assure you I am operating strickly from my logic and have not read any of this. I would not lie.
This method helps to see the answer.

Do you know what I am going to do next?
 
matheinste said:
A near version of your new scenario appears in Relativity and the Nature of Spacetime by Petkov. Around page 40. But I have no doubt it appears elsewhere also.

Matheinste.


This is not new. This is exploring the expanding light sphere and how it strikes equidistant points in each frame.
 
cfrogue said:
I assure you I am operating strickly from my logic and have not read any of this. I would not lie.
This method helps is see the answer.

Do you know what I am going to do next?

But we already know the answer to the originally posed scenario.

Do I know what you are going to do next. Based on experience I would say you will prevaricate.

Matheinste.
 
matheinste said:
But we already know the answer to the originally posed scenario.

Do I know what you are going to do next. Based on experience I would say you will prevaricate.

Matheinste.

OK, do you agree with the equations?

I mean, that is the light postulate.

Further, this should not be a problem because I am only bounding the expanding light sphere.
 
cfrogue said:
Each frame agrees on a rest distance of d for two rods one for each frame.

We will label the endpoints of the rods as L, R, L' and R'.

A light source is centered on the rod of O'.

When the two rods happen to be centered and O' is moving in relative motion, the light is flashed from the light source of O'.

Now, in the frame of O, t(L) = t(R) by the light postulate, t(x) means light strikes the point.

In O', t'(L') = t'(R')


any disagreements?

No disagreements.
 
atyy said:
No disagreements.

Well, Matheinste is walking around with protest signs.
 
cfrogue said:
OK, do you agree with the equations?

I mean, that is the light postulate.

Further, this should not be a problem because I am only bounding the expanding light sphere.

I agree with and understand fully the standard equations of an expanding light sphere in both three dimensional space and four dimensional spacetime. I also know that they are involved fundamentally in deriving some important SR results. However, a merely verbal statement of the light postulate suffices completely to set the scenario originally discussed.

If you cannot ask questions or argue your point based upon the original light sphere scenario I refuse to take any more of my time on this.

Anyway for now I have an excuse. Its 2.25 in the morning here and I work at six in the morning. So goodnight soon.

Matheinste.
 
cfrogue said:
Well, Matheinste is walking around with protest signs.

That's ok. You should take Matheinste seriously (he's very good), but we can have some fun anyway.
 
atyy said:
That's ok. You should take Matheinste seriously (he's very good), but we can have some fun anyway.

You're too kind. You have obviously missed my many poor postings. Please, please please do not let me spoil your fun. For all my protests I am enjoying it too.

Matheinste.
 
Let's see, where was I?

In O', t'(L') = t'(R')

Now, there is relative motion v > 0 between O and O'.

Wait, I forgot the relativity of simultaneity.

In that case, with a rod length of d, O draws the following conclusions.

t'(L') = d/(2*λ(c+v))
and
t'(R') = d/(2*λ(c-v))


But, from the above
t'(L') = t'(R')

so

t'(L') = d/(2*λ(c+v)) = t'(R') = d/(2*λ(c-v))

d/(2*λ(c+v)) = d/(2*λ(c-v))

1/(2*λ(c+v)) = 1/(2*λ(c-v))

1/(c+v) = 1/(c-v)

(c+v) = (c-v)

2v = 0

v = 0

a contradiction.
 
cfrogue said:
If I have a light source in a frame and emit the light, the light travels to equidistant points in the same time t = d/c.

Is this correct?

Yes, if you define the instant of the flash as x, t (0,0) - the origin.

Also, if we define the origin of the O' frame to coincide with the origin of O, then the light also travels to equidistant points in the same O'-time: t' = d'/c.

Note that according to the O frame, the light does not reach those points of the O' frame simultaneously - hence Einstein's relativity of simultaneity...