Deriving Exponential Decay Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the equation N = No e-λt from dN/dt = -λN. It is explained that both sides are integrated in order to find the total number of nuclei after a certain time period. It is also mentioned that physicists are casual with infinitesimals and that the process of integration may seem hand-wavy but is a valid mathematical technique.
Jimmy87
Hi,

I was trying to see where the equation N = No e-λt came from and it is derived from dN/dt = -λN which is discussed very well in this thread in post #2 (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/derivations-of-the-decay-constant-equation.213312/). I understand the steps except for the reason why both sides are integrated. I always struggle with this concept during derivations. If we rearrange it into the form dN/N = - λdt, I really don't see how the next logical step is to integrate both sides. I know it gets us the correct outcome but what is the reason for integrating both sides as appose to some other operation? Integrating means summing/adding - I don't see how summing/adding is the next logical step - I only understand it retrospectively from the correct outcome it gives.

Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Decay (or growth) that goes proportional to what is present can be described with a differential equation of the form$${df\over dx} = \alpha \,f(x)$$the solution is found by integrating (summing up) the infinitesimal contributions> Since ##f## is to be found you treat this as any algebraic equation: bring the knowns (##\alpha## and the independent variable ##x##) to one side and the unknowns to the other:$${df\over f} = \alpha \, dx\ .$$The only way to find ##f## from an equation in ##df## is to integrate.

Perhaps it helps to treat this as a difference equation: when you know ##f(x_0)## at some initial point, you can find ##f(x_0+\Delta x)## by addition:$$f(x_0+\Delta x) = f(x_0) + f(x_0) * \alpha * \Delta x $$ (think of the definition of the derivative). Letting ##\Delta \downarrow 0## gets you an integral.

(note: physicists are casual with infinitesimals -- they know a mathematician can back them up with thorough analysis for decently behaving functions :cool: )

Likes Jimmy87
BvU said:
note: physicists are casual with infinitesimals
For some things even physicists call foul ...

A less hand-wavy way would be to put everything with ##f## on one side and then integrate with respect to ##x##. You would find
$$
\int_{x_0}^{x_1} \alpha\, dx = \int_{x_0}^{x_1} \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} dx,
$$
which is a change of variables from ##x## to ##y = f(x)## away from
$$
\int_{f(x_0)}^{f(x_1)} \frac{dy}{y}.
$$

Likes Jimmy87, jim mcnamara and BvU
BvU said:
Decay (or growth) that goes proportional to what is present can be described with a differential equation of the form$${df\over dx} = \alpha \,f(x)$$the solution is found by integrating (summing up) the infinitesimal contributions> Since ##f## is to be found you treat this as any algebraic equation: bring the knowns (##\alpha## and the independent variable ##x##) to one side and the unknowns to the other:$${df\over f} = \alpha \, dx\ .$$The only way to find ##f## from an equation in ##df## is to integrate.

Perhaps it helps to treat this as a difference equation: when you know ##f(x_0)## at some initial point, you can find ##f(x_0+\Delta x)## by addition:$$f(x_0+\Delta x) = f(x_0) + f(x_0) * \alpha * \Delta x $$ (think of the definition of the derivative). Letting ##\Delta \downarrow 0## gets you an integral.

(note: physicists are casual with infinitesimals -- they know a mathematician can back them up with thorough analysis for decently behaving functions :cool: )

Thanks. I think I have understood what you mean. So we integrate because our end goal is to find the total number of nuclei (dN integral on the left) after some total time period (dt integral on the right) hence we get an equation at the end that can find the total nuclei after some time period.

1. What is the definition of exponential decay?

Exponential decay is a mathematical function that describes the decrease in a quantity over time, where the rate of decrease is proportional to the current value of the quantity.

2. How is the exponential decay equation derived?

The exponential decay equation is derived using the concept of continuous compounding, where the rate of change is proportional to the current value. It can also be derived using the concept of half-life, where the quantity decreases by half over a constant time interval.

3. What are the key components of the exponential decay equation?

The key components of the exponential decay equation are the initial quantity (A), the decay rate (k), and the time (t). These components are used to calculate the current value of the quantity (Q) at a specific time.

4. How is the exponential decay equation used in real-world situations?

The exponential decay equation is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to model natural processes that involve a decrease in quantity over time. It can also be applied in finance to calculate the decrease in the value of an investment over time.

5. What is the relationship between exponential decay and exponential growth?

Exponential decay and exponential growth are inverse processes, meaning that they are opposite to each other. While exponential decay describes a decrease in quantity over time, exponential growth describes an increase in quantity over time at a constant rate.