Deriving expressions for angular velocity and acceleration

In summary, we derived the expressions for the i_r and i_θ components of velocity and acceleration using the given equations and known values for i_r and i_θ. We found that the solutions for velocity are v_r=\frac{dr}{dt} and v_\theta=r\frac{d\theta}{dt}, while the solutions for acceleration are a_r=\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-r\left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2 and a_\theta=2\frac{d\theta}{dt}\frac{dr}{dt}+r\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}.
drofenaz

Homework Statement

Derive the expressions for the [itex]i_r[/itex] and [itex]i_θ[/itex] components of velocity and acceleration.

Homework Equations

[itex]r=|r|i_r[/itex]

[itex]\omega=\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]\alpha=\frac{dω}{dt}=\frac{d^2r}{dt}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]r=|r|i_r[/itex]

[itex]\omega=\frac{dr}{dt}i_r+r\frac{di_r}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]\alpha=\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}i_r+\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{di_r}{dt}+\frac{d^2i_r}{dt^2}r+\frac{di_r}{dt}\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]

4. The solutions I need to get to
[itex]\omega=\frac{dr}{dt}i_r+r\frac{d_\theta}{dt}i_θ[/itex]

[itex]\alpha=\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}i_r+\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{di_\theta}{dt}i_\theta+\frac{dr}{dt} \frac{d\theta}{dt}i_\theta+r\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}i_\theta-r\left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2i_r[/itex]

5. Thoughts
I think that they're substituting in something for parts of my answer. I just don't know what they're substituting in, or how to find it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
drofenaz said:
... [itex]\omega=\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]\alpha=\frac{dω}{dt}=\frac{d^2r}{dt}[/itex]...

[itex]\omega[/itex] [itex]\neq[/itex] [itex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex] but [itex]\omega[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex].

[itex]\alpha[/itex] [itex]\neq[/itex] [itex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}[/itex] but [itex]\alpha[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d\omega}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}}[/itex]

So basically I'm doing it completely wrong. Would my work be correct for v and a instead of ω and [itex]\alpha[/itex]?

I'm not quite sure how to solve the problem. Could you point me in the right direction?

oops!
let me try again.

Last edited:
drofenaz said:
... The solutions I need to get ...
[itex]\omega=\frac{dr}{dt}i_r+r\frac{d_\theta}{dt}i_θ[/itex]

[itex]\alpha=\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}i_r+\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{di_\theta}{dt}i_\theta+\frac{dr}{dt} \frac{d\theta}{dt}i_\theta+r\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}i_\theta-r\left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2i_r[/itex]...

I think that what you were asked to derive are:

[itex]v=\frac{dr}{dt}i_r+r\frac{d_\theta}{dt}i_θ[/itex]

and

[itex]a=\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}i_r+\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{d\theta}{dt}i_\theta+\frac{dr}{dt} \frac{d\theta}{dt}i_\theta+r\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}i_\theta-r\left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2i_r[/itex]

I have solved the problem. Hopefully typing up my work will help someone someday.SOLVING FOR KNOWNS

[itex]i_r=cos\theta+sin\theta[/itex]

[itex]\frac{di_r}{dt}=-sin\theta+cos\theta[/itex]

[itex]\frac{di_r}{dt}=\frac{d\theta}{dt}i_\theta[/itex]
[itex]i_\theta=-sin\theta+cos\theta[/itex]

[itex]\frac{di_\theta}{dt}=-cos\theta-sin\theta[/itex]

[itex]\frac{di_\theta}{dt}=-\frac{d\theta}{dt}i_r[/itex]

POSITION VECTOR

[itex]r=ri_r[/itex]

SOLVING FOR VELOCITY

[itex]v=\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]v=\frac{dr}{dt}i_r+\frac{di_r}{dt}r[/itex]

After substituting what we know, we get:

[itex]v=\frac{dr}{dt}i_r+r\frac{d\theta}{dt}i_\theta[/itex]

So the solutions for velocity are:

[itex]v_r=\frac{dr}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]v_\theta=r\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex]

SOLVING FOR ACCELERATION

[itex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]

[itex]a=\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}i_r+\frac{di_r}{dt}\frac{dr}{dt}+\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{d\theta}{dt}i_\theta+r \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}i_\theta+r\frac{d\theta}{dt}\frac{di_\theta}{dt}[/itex]

After substituting what we know, we get:

[itex]a=\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}i_r+\frac{d\theta}{dt}\frac{dr}{dt}i_\theta+\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{d\theta}{dt}i_θ+r \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}i_\theta-r\frac{d\theta}{dt}\frac{d\theta}{dt}i_r[/itex]

And then we simplify to get:

[itex]a=\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}i_r+2\frac{d\theta}{dt}\frac{dr}{dt}i_\theta+r\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}i_\theta-r\left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2i_r[/itex]

So the solutions for acceleration are:

[itex]a_r=\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-r\left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2[/itex]

[itex]a_\theta=2\frac{d\theta}{dt}\frac{dr}{dt}+r\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}[/itex]

1. What is the equation for angular velocity?

The equation for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents angular velocity, Δθ represents change in angle, and Δt represents change in time.

2. How do you derive the expression for angular velocity?

The expression for angular velocity can be derived by taking the derivative of the angular position function, θ(t), with respect to time, which results in ω = dθ/dt.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rate of change of angular position over time, while linear velocity refers to the rate of change of linear position over time.

4. How does angular velocity relate to angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. This means that an increase or decrease in angular velocity will result in a corresponding increase or decrease in angular acceleration.

5. Can you calculate angular velocity without knowing the angular position?

Yes, you can calculate angular velocity using the equation ω = Δθ/Δt, even if the actual angular position is not known. This is because angular velocity is a measure of the change in angular position over time, not the absolute value of the position itself.