Deriving of the constants in Fourier Analysis

In summary, the conversation revolved around difficulties with using LaTex for displaying equations, specifically in regards to Fourier Analysis. The conversation also touched on the properties of odd and even functions, and how they relate to the integrals in the equations.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Wow LaTex fail... anyone know how i make this look like not ****? I had it looking all pretty on http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php and it gave me these codes as my latex markup but it didn't come out right... why do they look like source code and not the pretty equations they are supposed to?

Fourier Analysis equation:
[tex]$\displaystyle v(t)=a_0 + \sum_{n=1}^N a_ncos(nwt) + \sum_{m=1}^M a_msin(mwt) [/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle a_n= \frac{2}{T}\int\limits_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}v\(t)cos(nwt)\, dt [/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle b_n= \frac{2}{T}\int\limits_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}v\(t)sin(mwt)\, dt[/tex]

To show that the coefficients a and b are given by the equations above, we multiply v(t) by cos(2∏kt/T) and integrate with respect to time from t = -T/2 to t = T/2

[tex]\displaystyle \int\limits_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}\ ((a_0+\sum_{n=1}^N a_n cos(\frac{2\pi nt}{T}) +\sum_{m=1}^M b_m sin(\frac{2\pi mt}{T})) [/tex]

which will give us three types of integrals
[tex]\displaystyle a_0\int\limits_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}cos\frac{2\pi kt}{T}\,\ dt=0[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle \sum_{m=1}^M b_m\int\limits_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}sin\frac{2\pi mt}{T}cos\frac{2\pi kt}{T}dt=0[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^N a_n\int\limits_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}cos\frac{2\pi nt}{T}cos\frac{2\pi kt}{T}dt= T/2 (n=k)[/tex]

My question is why do the first two of these three integrals equal zero?
(first time using LaTex holy crap took forever

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming I'm deciphering the equations correctly, then the first integrals equal zero because the integral will be a sin function, and between the limits you will always have integer multiples of pi for any k (sin k*pi = sin(-k*pi) = 0)
The second integral is zero because it is an odd function integrated between symmetric limits. (an odd function multiplied by an even function is an odd function).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Wow LaTex fail... anyone know how i make this look like not ****? I had it looking all pretty on http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php and it gave me these codes as my latex markup but it didn't come out right... why do they look like source code and not the pretty equations they are supposed to?

Fourier Analysis equation:
$$\displaystyle v(t)=a_0 + \sum_{n=1}^N a_ncos(nwt) + \sum_{m=1}^M a_msin(mwt)$$
$$\displaystyle a_n= \frac{2}{T}\int\limits_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}v\(t)cos(nwt)\, dt$$
$$\displaystyle b_n= \frac{2}{T}\int\limits_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}v\(t)sin(mwt)\, dt$$

To show that the coefficients a and b are given by the equations above, we multiply v(t) by cos(2∏kt/T) and integrate with respect to time from t = -T/2 to t = T/2

$$\displaystyle \int\limits_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}\ ((a_0+\sum_{n=1}^N a_n cos(\frac{2\pi nt}{T}) +\sum_{m=1}^M b_m sin(\frac{2\pi mt}{T}))$$

which will give us three types of integrals
$$\displaystyle a_0\int\limits_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}cos\frac{2\pi kt}{T}\,\ dt=0$$
$$\displaystyle \sum_{m=1}^M b_m\int\limits_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}sin\frac{2\pi mt}{T}cos\frac{2\pi kt}{T}dt=0$$
$$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^N a_n\int\limits_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}cos\frac{2\pi nt}{T}cos\frac{2\pi kt}{T}dt= T/2 (n=k)$$

My question is why do the first two of these three integrals equal zero?
(first time using LaTex holy crap took forever

Use $$ instead of $. More here:https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

Likes 1 person
DeltaFunction said:
Assuming I'm deciphering the equations correctly, then the first integrals equal zero because the integral will be a sin function, and between the limits you will always have integer multiples of pi for any k (sin k*pi = sin(-k*pi) = 0)
The second integral is zero because it is an odd function integrated between symmetric limits. (an odd function multiplied by an even function is an odd function).

So sin is an odd function then? Why is cos * sin an odd function? I can't find any good explanations on google.

P.S thanks Tsny

It is kinda simple, just like multiplying numbers, an odd times an even number results in an odd number.

If you want a more rigorous definition then you can go back to the definition of odd and even. Assume g(x) is odd and f(x) is even.

Then the product h(x)= f(x)*g(x). To check the parity of h(x) we find h(-x)= g(-x)*f(-x).

Remembering what it means to be an odd or even function we get g(-x)*f(-x)= -g(x)*f(x)= -h(x).

Leaving you with h(x)= -h(-x); otherwise known as an odd function.

1. What is the purpose of deriving the constants in Fourier Analysis?

The constants in Fourier Analysis, such as the Fourier coefficients and the Fourier transform, allow us to represent a complex function as a combination of simpler trigonometric functions. This allows us to analyze and manipulate the function in a more efficient manner, making it a valuable tool in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How are the Fourier coefficients derived?

The Fourier coefficients are derived by using the Fourier series, which is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of complex exponential functions. The coefficients are determined by integrating the function with respect to the complex exponential terms.

3. What is the significance of the Fourier transform constant?

The Fourier transform constant, also known as the normalization constant, is used to ensure that the Fourier transform of a function is scaled appropriately. This allows us to compare and analyze different functions on a more equal basis.

4. Can the constants in Fourier Analysis be applied to non-periodic functions?

Yes, the Fourier transform can be applied to non-periodic functions as well, but the values of the constants may differ. In this case, the Fourier transform is used to represent a function as a combination of complex exponential functions with different frequencies.

5. How do the constants in Fourier Analysis impact signal processing?

The constants in Fourier Analysis are essential in signal processing, as they allow us to transform a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain. This enables us to filter, compress, and analyze signals in a more efficient and accurate manner, making it a crucial tool in fields such as telecommunications and audio processing.