Deriving points conforming to bell curve

In summary, the point generator is generating points that follow a linear distribution, but what the user wants is for the next point to follow a bell curve, so they are using a Box-Muller transform to create an x,y point in a two dimensional space. The inverse normal transform is used to generate the random x1 and y1 values.
MichaelEber
I am writing a system that collects values from our devices (CRAH, Generators, etc) compute the trend of the data, and determine if an alarm should be raised.

For testing I have a point generator and I want it to follow fairly realistic norms. Currently I generate a new point as:

p.Y = p'.Y + rand.NextDouble()-.5; | p' is the previous point, and Y is the value being generated (p.X is a point in time)

This is taking the value of the last point and adding a random variant that is +- .5.

The problem is that rand will generate a totally linear grouping of numbers. What I want to do is put that point through a computation so that the next point follows a bell curve. Therefore it is more likely to generate a difference of (say) .09 - -.09 then it is .5 and .5 is closer to a 0 chance of generation than any other point.

I've used google and searched a few math forums but most of the discussion is from data analysis after the fact not during generation of the points.

Any suggestions on a formulae that would produce the desired distribution?

Physics news on Phys.org
What I want to do is put that point through a computation so that the next point follows a bell curve.
Do you mean to replace p.Y = p'.Y + rand.NextDouble()-.5 with
p.Y = p'.Y + NormallyDistributedRandomVariableWithZeroMean ?

Well I guess that is what I mean. So what is the formula for that?

MichaelEber said:

The Box–Muller transform is a good way. But you're going to have to decide what standard deviation to use, and that depends on your application.

MichaelEber said:
Generally speaking, you need to apply the inverse-normal (inverse Gaussian) transformation to a random variable between 0 and 1; one way is to use the algorithm CRGreathouse suggested.

Thanks for the input. Looking at the Box Muller transform, it is aimed at creating an x,y point in a two dimensional space. Since I was only interested in generating points along the x-axis I used the s1 part of the transform.

p.Y = p'.Y + (Math.Sqrt( -2 * Math.Log( rand.NextDouble( ) ) ) * Math.Cos( 2 * Math.PI * rand.NextDouble( ) )) - .5;

where each rand.NextDouble() supplies the random x1 and y1 from the evenly distributed range of points between 0 and 1.

plugged it into the formula and will begin testing soon to see how it goes.

Thanks.

The s2 is just another random normal variable. You get two for the price of one. If speed is an issue, generate them two at a time; if not, the formula you have works.

Related to Deriving points conforming to bell curve

1. What is a bell curve and why is it important in data analysis?

A bell curve, also known as a normal distribution, is a graphical representation of a dataset that follows a symmetrical and bell-shaped pattern. It is important in data analysis because many natural phenomena, such as human traits and test scores, tend to follow this pattern, making it a useful tool for understanding and analyzing data.

2. How is a bell curve used to derive points?

A bell curve can be used to derive points by calculating the mean and standard deviation of a dataset and then using those values to determine the corresponding points on the curve. This method allows for the creation of a standardized scale for the dataset, making it easier to compare different data points.

3. Can a bell curve be used for any type of dataset?

No, a bell curve is most commonly used for datasets that follow a normal distribution. If the data does not follow a symmetrical pattern, a different type of curve or method may be more appropriate for deriving points.

4. How does the shape of a bell curve affect the data analysis?

The shape of a bell curve can provide important insights into the data being analyzed. For example, a bell curve with a high peak and narrow spread suggests that the data is tightly clustered around the mean, while a flatter curve with a wider spread indicates a more diverse dataset.

5. Are there any limitations to using a bell curve in data analysis?

While a bell curve can be a useful tool in data analysis, it is important to note that it is not always applicable to every dataset. Additionally, it is a simplified representation of data and may not accurately capture all the nuances and complexities of the data. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the appropriateness of using a bell curve and to use other methods if necessary.