1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the formula for the change in entropy

1. May 26, 2014 #1
    Hello. I was reading Hyperphysics website and could not get one particular part. I am providing a picture of the equation I am having trouble with: http://i.snag.gy/W3CC3.jpg
    The particular part that puzzles me is the relation around the third equation sign. From the formula there one can think that dU = nCvdT which in itself is the equation for unit of heat transfered (dQ). Obviously it would be correct if there was no work done (dV = 0) but it is not the case here. What am I not seeing here? The full link is http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/therm/entropgas.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2014 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Actually ##dV = 0## is the case as far as the equality ##dU = nC_V dT## is concerned because ##nC_V = (\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})_V##. Remember ##C_V## is the specific heat at constant volume.

4. May 26, 2014 #3
    Hmm. That makes sense, yes. But what still is strange to me is that they use the first law of thermodynamics ( dQ = dU + dA ) to express dQ, then they leave dA without touching it and express dU using the same law again, just in different conditions (dV = 0). So in the end there are *two works* one which is left as pdV while the other one is 0.

5. May 26, 2014 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

The first law of thermodynamics can be written, in differential form, as ##dU = dQ - pdV##, where -pdV is the work done by the surroundings as the system moves through a series of quasi-static states. Now take the partial derivative of both sides wrt T at constant V. The result is that $$\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V = \left(\frac{\partial Q}{\partial T}\right)_V - p \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_V $$ The second term on the RHS is zero and the first term is ##C_V##
    U is a state variable, so you can always consider a constant volume process between the initial and final states. For an ideal gas U=U(T) so dU = C_V dT.

6. May 26, 2014 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

There is only one process being done and it's the general one between two thermal equilibrium states of the system wherein ##dV \neq 0## in general and ##\delta W## (##= pdV## for quasi-static process) ##\neq 0## in general, as a result. The specific heat ##c_V## is a property of the system being considered and is entirely independent of the process we are performing on the system in going from one equilibrium state to another. Sure we calculate ##c_V## by taking our system and considering a constant volume process, so as to use ##c_V = \frac{1}{n}(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T})_V##, but this is a one-time deal as it is an inherent property of the system itself and therefore once we calculate ##c_V## we can then use it in calculations for any other process whatsoever taking the system from one equilibrium state to another, such as the general one considered above with non-zero work done by the system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook