Deriving the formula for tidal generating force TGF

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the TGF formula for a 1kg mass on the surface of the Moon, which is equal to 2g.e^2.(a/r^3). The variables used in the formula are g (9.81), e (radius of the Earth), a (radius of the Moon), and r (distance between the centres of the Earth and Moon). The conversation also mentions using Newton's law for gravitation and assuming the densities of the Earth and Moon are the same.
HenryM
i have been asked to show that the TGF acting on a 1kg mass, on the surface of the Moon is equal to:

TGF = 2g.e^2.(a/r^3)

Where;
g = 9.81
e = radius of the Earth
a = radius of the Moon
r = distance between the centres of the Earth and Moon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Henry, :welcome:

Have you, now ? And what are you going to do to show it ?
Please rea the PF guidelines to understand why we can't help you (yet)

well, i need to derive it from Newtons law for gravitiation.. i think. i can do it conserving the mass elements, but I am not sure how to remove them.

Thanks

I suppose you are supposed to assume the densities of Earth and moon are the same (they are not) .
Start your derivation and post your work.
BvU said:
Please read the PF guidelines

This seems to be homework. PLEASE use the homework template and post in the homework forum. Thanks.

Since this already has dialog, we will let it go, template-wise. Moving to homework...

Likes BvU

1. What is tidal generating force (TGF)?

Tidal generating force (TGF) is the force responsible for the creation of tides in Earth's oceans. It is the result of the gravitational pull of the Moon and the Sun on Earth's oceans.

2. How is the formula for TGF derived?

The formula for TGF is derived using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This formula is then applied to the gravitational pull between the Moon and the Earth, and the Sun and the Earth, to calculate the total tidal generating force.

3. What factors affect the strength of TGF?

The strength of TGF is affected by the masses of the Moon and the Sun, the distance between these celestial bodies and the Earth, and the rotation of the Earth. Other factors such as the shape of the ocean basins and the alignment of the Moon and the Sun also play a role in the strength of TGF.

4. Is the formula for TGF constant?

No, the formula for TGF is not constant. It can vary depending on the relative positions of the Moon, the Sun, and the Earth, as well as other factors such as the topography of the ocean floor. Additionally, the formula may need to be adjusted as new data and research become available.

5. Why is understanding TGF important?

Understanding TGF is important for several reasons. It helps us predict and understand the patterns of ocean tides, which are important for navigation, coastal ecosystems, and other industries such as fishing and renewable energy. Additionally, studying TGF can provide insights into the larger workings of the Earth-moon-sun system and help us better understand our planet and its processes.