Why Does the Negative Sign Appear in the Vector Potential Equation?

deuteron
TL;DR Summary
We have motivated the derivation of the vector potential in the following way:
1706619806217.png

However, I cannot understand where the ##-## sign in the second equality came from. I thought that it was because the gradient was with respect to the ##y##-variable, and then using the product rule one could explain the transition to the last expression, but in that case ##\nabla_{\vec y}\times\vec j(\vec y)## would have to be zero, which I am not really sure is necessarily true; and in that case I would again not understand how a ##\nabla_{\vec y}## would become a ##\nabla_{\vec x}##, since at ##\nabla\times \vec A(\vec x)## I assume ##\nabla## must be acting on the ##\vec x##
That's why I don't see how the left and right hand sides of the third, fourth, and possibly the fifts ##=## signs are equal to each other, can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that
##\nabla_x \dfrac{1}{|x-y|}=-\dfrac{x-y}{|x-y|^3}=-\nabla_y \dfrac{1}{|x-y|}##
It follows that
##\dfrac{x-y}{|x-y|^3}=+\nabla_y \dfrac{1}{|x-y|}=-\nabla_x \dfrac{1}{|x-y|}.##

So the second equality is $$=-\frac{1}{c}\int \int \int j(y)\times\nabla_x \dfrac{1}{|x-y|}d^3y$$Does this help?

but in that case how do we take ##\nabla_{\vec x}## out of the integral? It wasn't cross multiplied with ##\frac 1 {|\vec x-\vec y|}##, but now it is?

The vector identity says
##\vec{\nabla}\times(\psi~\vec A)= \psi \vec{\nabla}\times\vec A+\vec{\nabla}\psi\times \vec A. ##
Here you identify
##\vec{\nabla}\rightarrow \vec{\nabla}_x##
##\psi \rightarrow \dfrac{1}{|x-y|}##
##\vec A \rightarrow \vec j (y)##

What do you get when you put these in the identity?

1. Why does the negative sign appear in the vector potential equation?

The negative sign appears in the vector potential equation because of the way magnetic fields are defined in physics. The vector potential is introduced in electromagnetism to simplify the mathematical description of magnetic fields. The negative sign ensures that the curl of the vector potential gives the correct magnetic field.

2. How does the negative sign affect the behavior of the magnetic field?

The negative sign in the vector potential equation affects the behavior of the magnetic field by ensuring that the magnetic field lines circulate around the current-carrying wire in the correct direction. This is consistent with the right-hand rule for determining the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire.

3. Can the negative sign be omitted from the vector potential equation?

No, the negative sign cannot be omitted from the vector potential equation without affecting the accuracy of the results. The negative sign is essential for correctly describing the behavior of magnetic fields and their interactions with currents.

4. How is the negative sign derived in the vector potential equation?

The negative sign in the vector potential equation is derived from the definition of the magnetic field in terms of the curl of the vector potential. By applying Maxwell's equations and the principles of electromagnetism, it can be shown that the negative sign is necessary for consistency and accuracy in describing magnetic fields.

5. What are the consequences of ignoring the negative sign in the vector potential equation?

Ignoring the negative sign in the vector potential equation can lead to incorrect predictions and interpretations of magnetic field behavior. It can result in errors in calculations and modeling of electromagnetic phenomena, potentially leading to inaccurate experimental results or theoretical conclusions.