1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivitives of Trig.

1. Jul 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Sin^2(t) The answer states sin2t
    2. (e^2x)(sin x-cos x) The answer states (e^2x)(3 sin x- cos x)
    3. sec^2(x)-tan^2(x)+cos(x) The answer states -sin x

2. Relevant equations
    1.product rule
    2.product rule
    3. sum and diff. rule?

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. (sin t)(sin t)'+(sin t)(sin t)'=(sin t)(cos t)+(sin t)(cos t)=2cos (t) sin (t)
    2. (e^2x)(cos x+sin x)+ (e^2x)(sin x-cos x)=(e^2x)(sin 2x)
    3. (sec^2(x)*tan^2(x))-sec^4(x)-sin x. I just don't know how to get rid of the first and second functions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is correct; you need to use a trig identity to get it in the form of the solution. Note that, alternatively, you could have used the chain rule for this question.
    This isn't quite correct; what is the derivative of e^(2x)?
    I'm not sure what you've done here. You want to differentiate the original term by term, so you need to find the derivatives of sec^2x and tan^2x. Can you write these as quotients and use the quotient rule?
  4. Jul 13, 2007 #3
    For 1. I tried the chain rule(sin x inside, square outside), and it got me 2cos(t) which is worse than my first answer.
    For 2. I assumed e never changes. And I never came across a problem where e changes and I am not too sure on how to do that. Is it 2 e^1?
    For 3. If I am understanding this correctly, Instead of the original, say it as: sec^2(x)+cos(x)/tan^2(x) then apply the quotient rule?
    If I am not correct, please guide me to the answer(s).
  5. Jul 13, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You made a mistake using the chain rule. Recall that [tex]\frac{d}{dx}((\sin x)^2)=2\sin x \cdot\frac{d}{dx}(\sin x)=2\sin x\cos x [/tex]. Now, can you spot the trig identity that will reduce the answer to the required form?
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(e^{ax})=ae^{ax}[/tex] for some constant a.
    No, I meant write the expression as [tex]\frac{1}{\cos^2x}-\frac{\sin^2x}{\cos^2x}+\cos x [/tex] and differentiate each term, using the quotient rule to differentiate the first two terms.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  6. Jul 14, 2007 #5
    For 1, I am really not seeing how it becomes sin2t from 2sinx cosx.
    For 2, I got it right, it was the derivative of e^2x that messed me up. thanks cristo.
    For 3, I know ultimately the third term will be left and the other two will cancel each other out. This is what i got(by following the advice):
    f'(x)=(cosx^2-sinx^2/(cosx^2)^2)-(cosx^4+sinx^4)/(cosx^2)^2)-sinx. I know the exponents does not cancel in this step.

For 1 and 3, I know there is a step that I do not have any knowledge of(or i did a step wrong), thanx in advance.
  7. Jul 14, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok, it's just a trig identity you should remember. The identity is [itex]\sin(2x)=2\sin x\cos x[/itex]. It is derived from the multiple angle formula [itex]\sin(a+b)=\sin a\cos b+\cos a\sin b[/itex] by setting a=b
    You're welcome
    Ok, let's look at each term individually, since you have used the quotient rule incorrectly on (at least) the first term.

We want [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{1}{\cos^2x}\right)[/tex]. Using the quotient rule, this is equal to [tex]\frac{\cos^2x\cdot\frac{d}{dx}(1)-1\cdot\frac{d}{dx}(\cos^2x)}{(\cos^2x)^2}=
    \frac{2\cos x\sin x}{\cos^4x}=\frac{2\sin x}{\cos^3x}[/tex]

Now, try to do the second term (sin^2x/cos^2x) again. I'm not sure how you got what you did first time.
  8. Jul 14, 2007 #7
    3. sinx^2/cosx^2

(cosx^2)(2 cos x sin x)+(2 cos x sin x)(sinx^2)

(2 cosx^2*cosx^3*sin x cosx^2)+(2sinx^2*cosx sinx^2*sinx^2) distribution
    Is this right so far?
  9. Jul 14, 2007 #8
    For #3,

sec^2(x) - tan^2(x) = 1.

the rest is easy.
  10. Jul 14, 2007 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is indeed a quicker way of doing the question (I can't believe I didn't notice that!) cd246, this comes about from the identity sin^2x+cos^2x=1, and greatly simplifies the work needed.
  11. Jul 14, 2007 #10
    I think I get what u 2 are saying... since sec^2-tan^2 equals 1, it would be 1+cosx, take the derivative and I get -sinx?
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  12. Jul 14, 2007 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yup, that's correct.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?