Can You Solve These Calculus Derivative Problems Correctly?

• Thread starter Alethia
  • Start date
In summary, the two people were working on their calculus homework and got stuck on some problems. They each showed their work to check if they got it right, and one person had problems with the derivative of a sum and the other had problems with the product rule.
Alethia
Well I was doing my calculus homework today and I got stuck one some problems. Well actually I just wanted to check if I did them right because I'm not entirely sure. Anybody care to check? :D

1) y = sin (9[x^(1/2)] + sin [x^(1/2)]
--For this problem, I just used the chain rule for each part. For my answer I got [cos(x^91/2)]/[x^(1/2)]. I wasn't sure if I could do the chain rule for both of them and just add them. Was that okay?

2) y = 4sec^2 x(tan x)
--In this problem, I used the product rule then the chain rule inside. I think I did it right but the 4 kind of threw me off. My final answer was: 4sec^2x (sec^2x + 2tan^2x).

Thanks! Anythign helps really... :D

Physics news on Phys.org
It's much easier to help if you show work. That said:

1.The way you've written it, the parens don't balance, but in general, the derivative of a (finite) sum is the sum of the derivatives. Also your answer doesn't look right to me I think you did some bad algebra pulling things out of the trig functions.

2. It seems like there should be an extra 2 from the [tex]\sec^{x}[/tex] in the derivative that you're missing.

HAha yeah it would be easier that way wouldn't it? Okay here's my work, that way I can pin point wher eI made a mistake, apparently. :D

1) y = sin x1/2 + sin x1/2
y' = (cos x1/2)(1/2x-1/2) + (cos x1/2)(1/2x-1/2)
y' = (2cosx1/2)/(2x1/2 )
y' = cos x1/2 /x1/2

For the second problem...
y = 4sec2x(tan x)
y' = tan x(8 sec x(sec x * tan x)) + 4(sec x)2(sec2x
y' = tan2 x(2)) + 4(sec x)2(sec2x
y' = 4 sec2x[sec2 x +2 tan2 x]

I hope that helps as much as it may help me. :D

Alethia said:
1) y = sin x1/2 + sin x1/2
y' = (cos x1/2)(1/2x-1/2) + (cos x1/2)(1/2x-1/2)
y' = (2cosx1/2)/(2x1/2 )
y' = cos x1/2 /x1/2
The way you originally posted it, it looked more like:
[tex]y=\sin(9x^{\frac{1}{2}}) + \sin(x^{\frac{1}{2}})[/tex]
which would lead to a different derivative. The stuff above all looks good.
For the second problem...
y = 4sec2x(tan x)
y' = tan x(8 sec x(sec x * tan x)) + 4(sec x)2(sec2x
y' = tan2 x(2)) + 4(sec x)2(sec2x
y' = 4 sec2x[sec2 x +2 tan2 x]
Also looks good. Here's a quick check:
[tex]y=4 \sec^2x\tanx=4\frac{\sin x}{\cos^3 x}=4 \sin x \cos^{-3} x[/tex]
[tex]y'=4(\cos x \cos^{-3} x + \sin x (-3) \cos^{-4} x(-\sin x))[/tex]
[tex]y'=4(\cos^{-2} x + 3 \sin^2 \cos^{-4})[/tex]
[tex]y'=4 \sec^2x(1+3 \tan^2 x)[/tex]
and
[tex]1+\tan^2=\sec^2[/tex]
so
[tex]y'=4 \sec^2x(\sec^2 x + 2 \tan^2 x)[/tex]

Related to Can You Solve These Calculus Derivative Problems Correctly?

What is a derivative in calculus?

A derivative in calculus is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It represents the slope of a tangent line at any given point on the graph of a function.

How do I solve derivative problems?

To solve derivative problems, you need to use the rules and formulas of calculus. These include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. Additionally, you need to understand the concept of limits and how to evaluate them.

What is the purpose of finding derivatives?

The purpose of finding derivatives is to understand the behavior and characteristics of a function. Derivatives can help determine the rate of change, maximum and minimum points, and concavity of a function. They are also used to solve optimization problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

Can I use a calculator to solve derivative problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve derivative problems. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of the concepts and rules behind derivatives to accurately interpret and use the calculator's results.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving derivative problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving derivative problems include forgetting to apply the chain rule, incorrectly applying the product or quotient rule, and making calculation errors. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions and use proper notation when writing the final answer.