Describe how to perpare 75ml of 0.25M CuSO4 solution

• Thread starter kanana
  • Start date
In summary, to prepare 75ml of 0.25M CuSO4 solution, you will need 75ml of distilled water, 0.25 moles of CuSO4, a graduated cylinder, and a stir rod. To calculate the amount of CuSO4 needed, you can use the formula M1V1 = M2V2 and you will need 0.25 moles of CuSO4. To prepare the solution, measure out 18.75ml of the stock solution (1M CuSO4), add it to a 75ml volumetric flask, then add 56.25ml of distilled water and mix with a stir rod. Distilled water is used instead of tap water to
kanana
Homework Statement
Describe how to prepare 75mL of 0.25M ##CuSO_{4}## solution.
Relevant Equations
N/A
The answer given to me by my teacher is 3 grams. I wasn't there when this was taught, and I have no formulas to use. I have searched for 30 minutes now and haven’t found any sources that gives a explanation. Any help that would lead me in the right direction would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the cupric sulfate from solid or from a given known concentration solution?

Final desired volume of 75 mL is same as 0.075 liters.
Look for formula weight of cupric sulfate, or compute this from data on Periodic Table.

Note, 0.075L*0.25(moles/L)=0.01875 moles of your salt.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the amount of CuSO4 needed to prepare a 0.25M solution?

To calculate the amount of CuSO4 needed, you can use the formula: moles = molarity x volume. In this case, we want 75ml of a 0.25M solution, so the calculation would be: (0.25 mol/L) x (0.075 L) = 0.01875 moles of CuSO4.

2. How do you convert moles of CuSO4 to grams?

To convert moles to grams, you need to know the molar mass of CuSO4, which is 159.609 g/mol. Multiply the number of moles by the molar mass to get the mass in grams. In this case, 0.01875 moles of CuSO4 would be equal to 2.99 grams (0.01875 mol x 159.609 g/mol = 2.99 g).

3. How do you prepare a 0.25M solution using solid CuSO4?

To prepare a 0.25M solution using solid CuSO4, you will need to weigh out 2.99 grams of CuSO4 (calculated in question 2) and add it to a volumetric flask. Then, add enough water to make a total volume of 75ml. Make sure to mix the solution well to ensure all of the solid is dissolved.

4. Can you use any type of water to prepare the solution?

Ideally, you should use deionized or distilled water to prepare the solution. This is because tap water may contain impurities that could affect the accuracy of the solution. However, if deionized or distilled water is not available, you can use tap water, but make sure to filter it first to remove any impurities.

5. How do you check the accuracy of the prepared solution?

To check the accuracy of the prepared solution, you can use a spectrophotometer or a titration method. These methods will allow you to measure the concentration of the solution and compare it to the desired concentration of 0.25M. Adjustments can be made if necessary by adding more solid or water to the solution.