Describe the motion of free fall from different observators

In summary, the motion of a light bulb falling from the ceiling of a train with a constant acceleration can be described as a parabolic motion when viewed from the rails, a straight line with a downward slope when viewed from the train, and a horizontal straight line when experiencing free fall motion with respect to the rails. The equations of motion can be determined by considering the frame of reference and using Galilean transformations.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Describe the motion of a light bulb falling from the ceiling of a train with a constant acceleration. The train's motion is horizontal with respect to the ground.
Describe the motion of the light bulb if you are at rest on the rails. If you are at rest on the train. If you're experiencing a free fall motion with respect to the rails.

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

My intuition: On the rails, I'd see a parabolic motion. On the train I wouldn't see a vertical straight line, I'm not 100% sure about what I'd see. On a free fall motion with respect to the rails, I'd see a horizontal straight line.

I don't know how to set up the equations of motion in the different frames of reference.
I'm tempted to say that for the guy on the rails, [tex]\vec a (t)=a \hat i - g \hat j[/tex] but I wouldn't answer this. When the light bulb is cut from the ceiling, there's nothing that could apply a force and hence an acceleration on the bulb, except gravity. Hence I'd answer [tex]\vec a (t)=- g \hat j[/tex].
So [tex]\vec v(t)=v_0 \hat i -gt \hat j[/tex].
Thus [tex]\vec r(t)=v_0 t \hat i +\left (H-\frac{gt^2}{2} \right) \hat j[/tex] where [tex]v_0[/tex] is the velocity of the train when the light bulb is cut. Thus, it is the same motion (parabola) as if the train was moving with a constant velocity [tex]v_0[/tex] and no acceleration; according to this observer.
With the frame of reference falling with respect to the previous one, [tex]\vec a (t)=0 \hat j[/tex]. Thus I can directly write [tex]\vec r(t)=(v_0 t+d) \hat i[/tex], a horizontal straight line.

Now... on the train:
[tex]\vec a(t)=a \hat i - g \hat j[/tex].
Hence [tex]\vec v(t)=a t \hat i - gt \hat j[/tex].
Therefore [tex]\vec r(t)=\frac{at^2}{2} \hat i + \left (H- \frac{gt^2}{2} \right ) \hat j[/tex] which seems to me a straight line (not horizontal though), but I'm not 100% sure. I've taken vector calculus so I MUST be able to answer this with ease, but I should re read my course I guess. Unless you help me recover from this memory-loss.

Are my results good? I didn't use any Galilean transformation, I guess I should have? I only used an intuition, very un-rigorous. Is there a rigorous way to solve this problem? Like for example describing the 3 reference frames from only 1 and then use a Galilean transformation to describe everything they ask for...

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
My intuition: On the rails, I'd see a parabolic motion. On the train I wouldn't see a vertical straight line, I'm not 100% sure about what I'd see. On a free fall motion with respect to the rails, I'd see a horizontal straight line.

No, that's not right. On the rails, you're in an inertial frame, and the only force on the object is gravity. In the train's frame, a fictitious force ma seems to be pushing the object backwards as gravity pulls it down.

ideasrule said:
No, that's not right. On the rails, you're in an inertial frame, and the only force on the object is gravity.
I know about the only force acting on the bulb (I wrote
When the light bulb is cut from the ceiling, there's nothing that could apply a force and hence an acceleration on the bulb, except gravity. Hence I'd answer [tex]\vec a (t)=- g \hat j [/tex].
). I reached [tex]\vec r(t)=v_0 t \hat i +\left (H-\frac{gt^2}{2} \right) \hat j[/tex].
From this I now reach [tex]y(x)=H-\frac{gx^2}{v_0^2}[/tex].
This was by assuming [tex]\vec a (t)=- g \hat j[/tex].
ideasrule said:
In the train's frame, a fictitious force ma seems to be pushing the object backwards as gravity pulls it down.
Yes I know... that's why I wrote [tex]\vec a(t)=a \hat i - g \hat j[/tex]. Is this all wrong? If so, I don't see where in the equations.

By the way I just remember how to find the motion of [tex]\vec r(t)=\frac{at^2}{2} \hat i + \left (H- \frac{gt^2}{2} \right ) \hat j[/tex], which is indeed a straight line.
Now, have I used the good equations?

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object falling under the influence of gravity, with no other forces acting on it. This means that the object is accelerating towards the ground at a constant rate.

2. How does the motion of free fall differ from different observators?

The motion of free fall is the same for all observators, regardless of their position or motion. This is because gravity affects all objects in the same way, regardless of their mass or initial velocity.

3. Can an object experience free fall in a horizontal direction?

No, free fall only occurs in the vertical direction. In order for an object to experience free fall, it must be falling directly towards the ground under the influence of gravity.

4. How does air resistance impact the motion of free fall?

Air resistance can affect the motion of an object in free fall by slowing it down. However, in most cases, the effects of air resistance are negligible and can be ignored when considering free fall motion.

5. How is the motion of free fall related to Newton's laws of motion?

The motion of free fall follows Newton's first and second laws of motion. The first law states that an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, which is evident in the constant acceleration of objects in free fall due to gravity.