Designing a Linac: Exploring Propulsion Options for Protons

In summary, the speaker is designing a linac and is seeking help on using protons for propulsion. They were suggested to use a magnetron to pulse an intense RF, but the necessary information, such as the working frequency and geometry of the linac, has not been provided. The speaker is new to working with linacs and will gather more information to provide more details.
DLHill
Hello everyone,
I am designing a linac and I need some help. I would like to have protons as the particles I will accelerate, but for the propulsion I was told that using a magnetron to pulse an intense RF would be good. Will this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
DLHill said:
Hello everyone,
I am designing a linac and I need some help. I would like to have protons as the particles I will accelerate, but for the propulsion I was told that using a magnetron to pulse an intense RF would be good. Will this work?

You didn't provide enough information. For example, this linac that you have, what fundamental frequency/mode does it work at, and is this matched by the RF from the magnetron? Is this an iris-loaded linac, or some other type?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You didn't provide enough information. For example, this linac that you have, what fundamental frequency/mode does it work at, and is this matched by the RF from the magnetron? Is this an iris-loaded linac, or some other type?

Zz.

I haven't actually made it yet. Just making some designs. But, it will be around the 6 MeV range and the RF pulses will be about 2.6 MW

DLHill said:
I haven't actually made it yet. Just making some designs. But, it will be around the 6 MeV range and the RF pulses will be about 2.6 MW

This doesn't have the necessary info to know if it will work. You provided no info on the working frequency, the geometry of the linac and the field, etc. Did you use an EM field code to model the field of the linac? Is this a pi mode? A pi/2 mode cavity?

Designing a linac isn't trivial by any stretch of the imagination.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This doesn't have the necessary info to know if it will work. You provided no info on the working frequency, the geometry of the linac and the field, etc. Did you use an EM field code to model the field of the linac? Is this a pi mode? A pi/2 mode cavity?

Designing a linac isn't trivial by any stretch of the imagination.

Zz.

I'm sorry, but I am fairly new to working with linacs, so I cannot provide a lot of information about it. I am only trying to find some plausible ideas for propelling the protons. I will read more into everything to provide more information for you.

Related to Designing a Linac: Exploring Propulsion Options for Protons

1. What is a linear particle accelerator?

A linear particle accelerator, also known as a linac, is a type of particle accelerator that uses radio frequency (RF) waves to accelerate charged particles in a straight line. It is used to study the properties and behavior of subatomic particles.

2. How does a linear particle accelerator work?

A linear particle accelerator works by using a series of electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles, such as electrons, protons, or ions, to very high speeds. The particles are first injected into the accelerator and then accelerated as they pass through a series of accelerating structures called cavities. The cavities are powered by RF waves that increase the energy of the particles as they pass through.

3. What is the purpose of a linear particle accelerator?

The main purpose of a linear particle accelerator is to study the fundamental properties of particles by accelerating them to high speeds and energies. It is also used in medical applications, such as cancer treatment, and in industrial applications, such as creating new materials.

4. How long is a linear particle accelerator?

The length of a linear particle accelerator varies depending on its purpose and design. The smallest accelerators can be a few meters long, while larger ones can be several kilometers long. For example, the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory in the United States has a linear accelerator that is 3 kilometers long.

5. What are the advantages of a linear particle accelerator?

One of the main advantages of a linear particle accelerator is its ability to produce high-energy particle beams that can be precisely controlled. This allows scientists to study the properties of particles in detail and perform experiments that would not be possible with other types of accelerators. Additionally, linear accelerators are more compact and cost-effective compared to other types of accelerators, making them useful for a wide range of applications.