Is There an Electronic Product for Designing Adjustable Timing Delay for Relays?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a device that can control two relays, A and B, with a timed delay. The desired specifications include a push button to activate relay A for 1 second, followed by a delay of 150-300ms before activating relay B for 1 second. The conversation also mentions the search for electronic products that can aid in this purpose, but the available timing relays have a range of seconds to hours, not milliseconds. It is suggested to design something with 555/556 timers and logic gates.
darkwhite87
Hi guys,

Background:

There are 2 relays, A and B that needs to be controlled (24V)

And a signal generating device that composes of a push button and an adjustable mechanism for timing delay between the 2 signals. (this is what I want to design)

Specification:

I want to design a device that, when I press the push button, relay A is activated for 1 second. Meanwhile, relay B is activated after a delay (of 150~300ms adjustable) after relay A is activated. Relay B also activates for 1 second.

Does anyone know if there are avaliable electronic products that will aid me for this purpose?
Such as an "adjustable delay timer" etc.

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
mcmaster.com has a ton of timing relays.

Thanks Proton, but I looked through mcmaster, the timing relays are in the range of second~hours while I need a delay in the order of milliseconds.

Secondly I think I don't need a timing "relay". I want to control my relay with a time delay device.

oh, yeah, milliseconds is pretty fast for what they have. i think i would start looking at designing something with 555/556 timers and some logic gates.

Here's a good place to start for using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC" .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What factors should be considered when designing a timing device?

When designing a timing device, there are several factors that should be taken into consideration. These include the accuracy and precision of the timing mechanism, the power source and energy efficiency, the environmental conditions in which the device will be used, the desired range of timing intervals, and the intended purpose or function of the device.

2. How do you determine the appropriate timing mechanism for a specific application?

The appropriate timing mechanism for a specific application depends on several factors. These include the required accuracy and precision, the desired range of timing intervals, and the environmental conditions in which the device will be used. Some common types of timing mechanisms include quartz crystal oscillators, mechanical gears and levers, and electronic circuits such as RC or LC oscillators.

3. Can a timing device be designed to have adjustable timing intervals?

Yes, a timing device can be designed to have adjustable timing intervals. This can be achieved through the use of variable components such as resistors, capacitors, or potentiometers in the timing mechanism. Alternatively, the device can be designed with a programmable microcontroller to allow for more precise and customizable timing intervals.

4. How can the accuracy of a timing device be improved?

The accuracy of a timing device can be improved by using a more precise timing mechanism, such as a quartz crystal oscillator, and by minimizing external factors that can affect the timing, such as temperature fluctuations. Additionally, regular calibration and maintenance can help to ensure the accuracy of the device over time.

5. What safety measures should be taken when designing a timing device?

When designing a timing device, it is important to consider potential safety hazards. This could include incorporating fail-safe mechanisms to prevent malfunction, ensuring the device is properly grounded and shielded to prevent electrical hazards, and following proper safety protocols during the design and testing process. It is also important to provide clear instructions and warnings for users to follow when operating the device.