Designing Circuits: RF & Sensor Basics for Self-Study

In summary, if you are looking to design RF and sensor circuits, you should start with books on RF design and Analog Devices, National Semiconductor, Linear Technology, etc.
Winzer
I have taken both Analog circuits and Digital Circuits. These are the only EE courses I can take with my curriculum--I will have to self-study. If am looking to design RF and sensor circuits, where do I start?
I look at a radio transmitter schematic and am dumbfounded on how the designer would start from scratch.

Engineering news on Phys.org
RF design is very elegant, and can be difficult. Just pick up some books on this subject, ARRL handbooks are good place to start.

The schematic of a radio transmitter for instance might appear enigmatic, put its principle of operation is the same as just about any transmitter. There are many ways to design the same thing. But if you can recognize the building blocks then understanding it will be a breeze.

waht said:
RF design is very elegant, and can be difficult. Just pick up some books on this subject, ARRL handbooks are good place to start.

The schematic of a radio transmitter for instance might appear enigmatic, put its principle of operation is the same as just about any transmitter. There are many ways to design the same thing. But if you can recognize the building blocks then understanding it will be a breeze.
Thanks waht. I will look into a good RF book as well as the ARRL handbooks.

By the way. I here that "The Art of Electronics" is a good book. Is it good for general circuit design?

Winzer said:
By the way. I here that "The Art of Electronics" is a good book. Is it good for general circuit design?

The "The Art of Electronics" is a very enlightening book, mostly in analog and digital circuit design, but not so much in in RF.

The ARRL handbook is a collection of high quality articles covering the principles of RF in a manner that conveys clarity to a broad audience spanning from beginners to professionals.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0872591395/?tag=pfamazon01-20

waht said:
The "The Art of Electronics" is a very enlightening book, mostly in analog and digital circuit design, but not so much in in RF.

The ARRL handbook is a collection of high quality articles covering the principles of RF in a manner that conveys clarity to a broad audience spanning from beginners to professionals.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0872591395/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Great, thanks. How about sensor circuits, or is that too generic?

For sensor circuits, checkout application notes from Analog Devices, National Semiconductor, Linear Technology, etc. You can find some good general ones on practical issues of using amplifiers and some application specific ones for different types of sensors.

The two books I own about RF design are:

RF circuit design by Bowick,
Microwave transistor amplifiers: design and analysis by Gonzalez.

The reason I own these two is because they work well together. The Bowick book is an excellent introduction and quick and dirty guide to RF engineering. The gonzalez book is an extremely difficult read (for me), but opened many a few doors for me. So much interesting stuff in that book

cheers

1. What is the purpose of designing circuits for RF and sensors?

The purpose of designing circuits for RF (radio frequency) and sensors is to create electronic devices that can transmit and receive wireless signals, as well as gather data from the environment through sensors. These circuits are essential for many modern technologies, such as smartphones, GPS devices, and wireless communication systems.

2. What are some key components needed for designing RF and sensor circuits?

Some key components needed for designing RF and sensor circuits include resistors, capacitors, inductors, transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits. These components are used to control the flow of electricity and create specific functions within the circuit.

3. What are some common challenges when designing RF and sensor circuits?

Some common challenges when designing RF and sensor circuits include interference from other electronic devices, noise in the signal, and ensuring the circuit operates within the desired frequency range. It is also important to consider power consumption, component placement, and signal integrity.

4. How can I learn more about designing RF and sensor circuits?

There are many resources available for self-study on designing RF and sensor circuits. You can start by researching online or reading books on the subject. Additionally, there are many online courses and tutorials available that can provide a more structured learning experience.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when working with RF and sensor circuits?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when working with RF and sensor circuits. It is important to wear protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, when handling electronic components. Additionally, make sure to work in a well-ventilated area and follow proper procedures when using soldering irons and other tools. It is also important to disconnect all power sources before working on the circuit to avoid electrical shocks.