Need Help with Physics Questions? Get Expert Assistance Now!

• Thread starter HELP_786
  • Start date
In summary, the cube and ball fall towards the ground after the collision. The impulse for the ball is greater than the impulse for the cube, so the ball will move faster.
HELP_786
Desperately Need Help With Questions!

I haven't done any physics work in about half a year n now i need to do sooo many questions in about a months time! ='( pleasee help me with these questions! I would HIGHLY HIGLYY appreciate it sooooooo much for anybody who would help me solve these questions.

http://dsmarketing.com/samples/phys_smpl1.pdf

Also the website above is to the multiple choice questions...i kno they are pretty easy but I forgot how to do them too! ='( I would HIGLLYYYYYYYYYY appreciate if somebody could explain how to get the answers to me PLEASE!
(you need to scroll down to Physics C Mechanics and Physics Electricity and Magnetism Sample Questions)

THANKYOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCHH FOR ALL OF YOU WHO CAN HELP ME! =D!

Attachments

• Mech 1.jpg
    Mech 1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 464
  • Mech 1b.jpg
    Mech 1b.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 433
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

You had to ok the site guidelines when you registered. Did you read them? We do not do your homework for you, you have to put in some effort.

Please show what you know about each of your questions.

You may find it more effective to devote a thread to each question, showing your work of course.

I WOULD attempt them but its been like 6 mnths since i have done anyy work related to this watsoever...and i basically forgot everything...i don't even kno how to attack the problem besides writing down the info given ='(

And if we were to do them for you, how would that help you?

HELP_786 said:
I WOULD attempt them but its been like 6 mnths since i have done anyy work related to this watsoever...and i basically forgot everything...i don't even kno how to attack the problem besides writing down the info given ='(

Where's your textbook? Have you tried studying it over thoroughly to refresh your understanding? Do that first. If you knew how to do them before, it shouldn't take you long to pick it up again, right?

i don't want anybody to do these problems for me...i jus need some assistance like which formulas should i use as suggestions ...and i have looked in my books...ive spent hours looking in my books AND lookin online and everytime i think i get somewhere i get an answer that is COMPLETELYYY OFF...i mean by like the 100s =S

thanku for the help...so far these r wat i got.. but idk if its right =S

(a)
J=FΔt=mΔv=Δp
J=(2000N)(.010s)
J=20Nxs

(b)
m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'
(.5kg)(26m/s)+(5kg)(0m/s)=(.5kg)(26m/s)+(5kg)v2'
(.5kg)(26m/s)=(.5kg)(26m/s)+(5kg)v2'
13kg x m/s = 13kg x m/s +5kg x v2'
13kg x m/s = 18kg x m/s x v2'
-5m/s = v2'

(c)
(i)
26m/s
(ii)
left

(d)
K=1/2mv2
which speed n mass am i supposed to use?

(e) d=v0t + (1/2)at2
would this be the correct dist formula?

Hi HELP_786,

HELP_786 said:
thanku for the help...so far these r wat i got.. but idk if its right =S

(a)
J=FΔt=mΔv=Δp
J=(2000N)(.010s)
J=20Nxs

This answer would be the impulse if the force was a constant 2000 N. However, the force is a varying force over the time period. How can you use the graph itself to find the impulse?

(b)
m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'
(.5kg)(26m/s)+(5kg)(0m/s)=(.5kg)(26m/s)+(5kg)v2'
(.5kg)(26m/s)=(.5kg)(26m/s)+(5kg)v2'
13kg x m/s = 13kg x m/s +5kg x v2'
13kg x m/s = 18kg x m/s x v2'
-5m/s = v2'

The problem with the above work is that m1 is slowed down by the collision, so v_1' is not 26 m/s. So instead of this, if the momentum of something is changing, what is the change in momentum equal to?
(c)
(i)
26m/s
(ii)
left

Once you find the answer to part b, you can use the approach you used in part b to find the final speed of the cube.

(d)
K=1/2mv2
which speed n mass am i supposed to use?

You need to take into account the change in kinetic energy of the entire (cube+ball) system due to the collision.

(e) d=v0t + (1/2)at2
would this be the correct dist formula?

The motion after the collision is a two dimensional free fall problem.

for part 'a', if i was to find the impulse for each millisecond n then add them up?

for part 'b', the change in momentum is also equal tot he impulse right?
sooo...would i use the impulse answer i got from part 'a' n set it equal to m1'v1' so i can get the correct velocity for v1'? n then from there use tht answer n substitute it into the whole formula i did previously of m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'?
i hope I am rite lol

ORRRR lol
for part 'a' would i use:

(linear impulse-momentum equation)

ΣFΔt=Mv2-Mv1

and in this formula what does M represent? just mass or total mass? or...neither? lol

HELP_786 said:
for part 'a', if i was to find the impulse for each millisecond n then add them up?

That's the right kind of idea; do you see how to find the impulse for each millisecond? How do you find that from the graph? In other words, since the graph is force vs. time, what property of the graph would be the impulse?

HELP_786 said:
for part 'b', the change in momentum is also equal tot he impulse right?
sooo...would i use the impulse answer i got from part 'a' n set it equal to m1'v1' so i can get the correct velocity for v1'?

The impulse on the object is equal to the change in momentum of the object. So if you apply the impulse-momentum theorem to m1, you'll need to take into account its initial momentum, too. Also, since the impulse from the graph is the impulse on m2, you'll need to give it a minus sign to get the impulse for m1. It's not that difficult, you'll just need to make sure you get the details right.

Instead, since part b asks for the velocity of m2, why not apply that procedure to m2 directly to find v2'? Since m2 is not moving initially, your procedure would work just as it is.

n then from there use tht answer n substitute it into the whole formula i did previously of m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'?
i hope I am rite lol

Once you find v2', this would be a good way to find v1'.

for part 'e' I am confused as to which formula i am supposed to use! =S:confused::cry:

ok so this is what I've done so far...

(a)
J=FΔt=mΔv=Δp
J=(500n x .001s)+(1000n x .002s)+(1500n x .003s)+(2000n x .004)+(2000n x .005)+(2000n x .006)+(1500n x .007)+(1000n x .008)+(500n x .009s)+(0n x .010s)
J=60n x s

(b)
ball
Δpb=Δpa
FΔtb=FΔta
Jb=Δpa
Jb=mΔva

60n x s=(5kg)v'
6.1m/s=v'

(c)
m1v1+m2v2=m1v1'+m2v2'
(5kg)(0m/s)+(.5kg)(26m/s)=(5kg)(6.1m/s)+(.5kg)v2'
(.5kg)(26m/s)=(5kg)(6.1m/s)+(.5kg)v2'
26kg x m/s=30.5kg x m/s + v2'
-4m/s=v2'<<<<<<<<<(i)
left<<<<<<<<<<<(ii)

(d)
Δvcube=13m/s
Δvball=5.55m/s

Kball=1/2mv2
Kball=1/2(5kg)(5.6m/s)^2
Kball=78.4J

Kcube=1/2(.5kg)(13m/s)^2
Kcube=42.25J

is any of this right?

Looking at part a:

HELP_786 said:
ok so this is what I've done so far...

(a)
J=FΔt=mΔv=Δp
J=(500n x .001s)+(1000n x .002s)+(1500n x .003s)+(2000n x .004)+(2000n x .005)+(2000n x .006)+(1500n x .007)+(1000n x .008)+(500n x .009s)+(0n x .010s)
J=60n x s

No, this has a couple of errors repeated several times.

If you'll look at what you have for the first millisecond: 500 N x 0.001 seconds. This is not correct, because the force is not 500 N for the entire millisecond. You have to take into account that during that millisecond, the force starts at zero, and increases during the time interval.

There are several ways to take this into account, but if you have a force vs. time graph like you have here, the way to get the impulse is straightforward: The impulse is the area under the curve of the force vs. time graph.

Do you see how that takes into account the changes when the force is not constant? What do you get for part a?

o yea! that makes sense =)
can i get the area by counting the squares so the area under the curve would be 24n x s ?

if I was to do it mathematically I am confused as to what equation i should use.
would i take the integral of f(t)dt from .010 to 0 ?
im pretty rusty on my calculus as well =(

1. What is the best way to ask for help with my questions?

The best way to ask for help with your questions is to be specific about what you need help with. Provide background information and clearly state your question. It may also be helpful to provide any relevant data or sources that you have already gathered.

2. How can I make sure I get accurate and helpful answers?

To ensure accurate and helpful answers, make sure to ask your question in a clear and concise manner. Avoid vague or ambiguous language, and provide as much context as possible. It may also be helpful to ask for clarification if you do not understand an answer.

3. How do I know if the answers I receive are credible?

When receiving answers, it is important to consider the source. Look for answers from reputable sources or individuals with expertise in the subject matter. It may also be helpful to do additional research to verify the information provided.

4. What if I still have questions after receiving an answer?

If you still have questions after receiving an answer, you can always follow up with the person who provided the answer or seek additional information from other sources. It is also helpful to provide feedback on the original answer, so the person providing the answer can improve their response in the future.

5. How can I show my appreciation to those who help me with my questions?

Showing gratitude is always appreciated, and there are various ways to do so. You can thank the person who provided the answer directly, leave a positive review or rating, or pay it forward by helping someone else with their questions in the future.