Detecting a metallic object through solid metal

In summary, the individual is looking for a solution to detect a metal object on one side of a 1/4" thick steel plate, with the object being only 0.5mm away from touching the plate. They have provided a sketch of the setup, with the metal pieces being approximately 1 inch in depth and lubrication oil present. The top and bottom pieces are made of different types and densities of metal, and in some cases, may touch each other. The individual is looking for a solution that can reliably detect when the rectangular piece comes down and lays flat, but may need to know the specific metal alloys involved to decide which method to use. Suggestions such as using a magnetic field or ultrasound are provided. Additionally, the
busarider29
I have looked at various off-the-shelf industrial sensors for detecting objects but I cannot find anything that will detect metal through metal. I have a metal plate that is 1/4" thick. I need to detect a metal object on the other side of the metal plate. The metal object on the other side of the plate will be ~0.5mm from touching the plate, and in some cases may even touch the plate. Is there any solution that could reliably detect the metal object on the other side of my 1/4" thick steel plate?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can the 1/4" plate be isolated from ground? How big is it? How big is the other metal?

Attached is a rough sketch of side view. Let's say depth of the sketched components is ~1 inch. I will not have access for measurement from the top, only from the bottom. I want to be able to detect when/if the rectangular piece comes down and lays flat. Both pieces are metal, although not the same type or density. The top piece could in some cases touch the bottom piece, but not in all cases. Lubrication oil will be present between and around both pieces.
CrossSection.jpg

Last edited:
busarider29 said:
I want to be able to detect when/if the rectangular piece comes down and lays flat. Both pieces are metal, although not the same type or density.
What are the 2 metals ?
Is the "flap" section hinged at one end ?

busarider29 said:
Is there any solution that could reliably detect the metal object on the other side of my 1/4" thick steel plate?
Yes. There are many solutions.
Unfortunately you will need to know the metal alloys involved to decide which method to use.
Are you able to specify the different types of metal alloys or are they fixed ?

If the object is also steel, it could be detected using a magnetic field, but this would put some force on it.

Can you have the piece complete a circuit when it comes down?

1. How does metal detection technology work?

Metal detection technology works by sending out electromagnetic fields and then measuring the changes in those fields when they encounter a metallic object. This change in the electromagnetic field is then detected and can be used to determine the presence and location of a metallic object.

2. What types of metals can be detected through solid metal?

Most metal detection technology can detect a wide range of metals including iron, steel, copper, aluminum, and gold. However, the type of metal that can be detected depends on the sensitivity and frequency of the metal detector.

3. Can metal detectors detect objects through all types of solid metal?

No, metal detectors cannot detect objects through all types of solid metal. The thickness and composition of the solid metal can affect the detection capabilities of the metal detector. For example, a thicker and denser metal may be more difficult to detect through than a thinner and less dense metal.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of metal detection through solid metal?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of metal detection through solid metal. These include the sensitivity and frequency of the metal detector, the thickness and composition of the solid metal, and any interference from other metallic objects or electromagnetic fields in the surrounding area.

5. Are there any limitations to detecting a metallic object through solid metal?

Yes, there are limitations to detecting a metallic object through solid metal. As mentioned before, the thickness and composition of the solid metal can affect the detection capabilities. Additionally, the size and shape of the metallic object can also impact the detection. In some cases, the metallic object may be too small or have an irregular shape, making it more difficult to detect through solid metal.