Calculating the Determinant of a 4x4 Matrix

• Thread starter John777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the person's method of solving a 3x3 determinant is incorrect and they can't figure out why. They get 150 by expanding down the first column, though they say their method might not be accurate.
John777

Prove determinate of matrix is 150

1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1
0 -1 2 3
1 6 4 -2

My solution is incorrect and maybe my method is incorrect but I can't figure it out. I went down the first column to make use of that zero.

Here is the basic method (aij)(-1)ij*Det(3x3) >> (aij)(-1)ij * (aij)(-1)ij*Det(2x2) where the second aij and (-1)ij are for the newly created 3x3 matrix

First term:

(1)(-1)2(3)(-1)2[(2)(-2)-(4)(3)] = -48

Second term:

(4)(-1)3(2)(-1)2[(2)(-2)-(4)(3)] = 128

Third term = 0

Fourth term

(1)(-1)5(2)(-1)2[(2)(3)-(2)(1)] = -8

Det = -48 +128 - 8 = 72.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
I get 150. Check your work.

Well I knew it was 150, unless the textbook was incorrect. Does my method seem accurate?

No, but I'm not sure I understood what you were trying to say. You are expanding down the first column, which means you will be evaluating three 3x3 determinants.

You can make life a little easier by subtracting the first row from the fourth row. That way, you'll need to evaluate only two 3 x 3 determinants. It's possible there are some other row operations you can do to simplify things before you start evaluating things.

Here is what I did for the first part of the first column:

(1)(-1)2 * det of
3 2 1
-1 2 3
6 4 -2

This simplies to

(1)(-1)2(3)(-1)2* det of

2 3
4 -2

which simplifies to

Sorry I wrote the matrices on the next line. I hope that's not to confusing but I didnt know how to type it otherwise.

Is this correct math?

John777 said:
Here is what I did for the first part of the first column:

(1)(-1)2 * det of
3 2 1
-1 2 3
6 4 -2
OK to here.
John777 said:
This simplies to

(1)(-1)2(3)(-1)2* det of

2 3
4 -2
No. To evaluate a 3 x 3 determinant, you need to evaluate three 2 x 2 determinants, not just one. I think that this is the mistake you're making.
John777 said:
which simplifies to

Sorry I wrote the matrices on the next line. I hope that's not to confusing but I didnt know how to type it otherwise.

Is this correct math?

Mark44 said:
OK to here.
No. To evaluate a 3 x 3 determinant, you need to evaluate three 2 x 2 determinants, not just one. I think that this is the mistake you're making.

Oh your correct. That's stupid on my part. Had someone just put a 3x3 in front of me I wouldn't have had a problem. Just all together I got screwed up. Thanks.

What is a determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

A determinant of a 4x4 matrix is a single value that can be calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is used to determine important properties of the matrix, such as whether it has an inverse and the number of solutions to a system of linear equations.

How is the determinant of a 4x4 matrix calculated?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix is calculated by using a specific formula that involves multiplying elements of the matrix and adding or subtracting them in a specific pattern. This process is known as expansion by minors.

What is the significance of the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix is significant because it can provide important information about the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular. It is also useful in solving systems of linear equations and calculating areas and volumes.

Can the determinant of a 4x4 matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a 4x4 matrix can be a negative value. The sign of the determinant is determined by the pattern used in the calculation and does not indicate any specific properties of the matrix.

What happens when the determinant of a 4x4 matrix is equal to 0?

If the determinant of a 4x4 matrix is equal to 0, it means that the matrix is singular and does not have an inverse. This also means that the system of linear equations represented by the matrix has either no solutions or infinitely many solutions.