Determination of Static Presssure on an Airfoil

In summary: If they are mounted inside the airfoil, with the face flush with the surface of the airfoil so they do not disturb the flow, then they will read the static pressure against that surface.If you mount them facing the airflow they will read static + dynamic pressure.
kepler456
I'm working with data across an airfoil and need some help.

We've got Kulite sensor data along 3 chord lengths of a certain NACA airfoil. The case is of an incompressible flow.

I need to determine the coefficient of pressure at these sensor locations using total pressure measured and I, therefore, require the static pressure.

What we have:

Free stream static pressure
Free stream total pressure
Surface total pressure

What I need:
Surface static pressure

Is this possible in any way? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, how do you have these Kulites mounted that they are measuring total pressure?

They aren't? I'm just getting my hands into aerodynamics as I want to work on airfoil design and I got an internship working on this stuff. The thing is I read a few papers where they say the kulite sensors produced total pressure. I know for sure it's not static pressure as then there would have to be small holes on the airfoil to place the sensors inside? (or am I wrong).

Do you think the Kulite sensors are measuring dynamic pressure which is 0.5*rho*v^2?

How do you mount the sensors?
If they are mounted inside the airfoil, with the face flush with the surface of the airfoil so they do not disturb the flow, then they will read the static pressure against that surface.
If you mount them facing the airflow they will read static + dynamic pressure.

Likes FactChecker
kepler456 said:
They aren't? I'm just getting my hands into aerodynamics as I want to work on airfoil design and I got an internship working on this stuff. The thing is I read a few papers where they say the kulite sensors produced total pressure. I know for sure it's not static pressure as then there would have to be small holes on the airfoil to place the sensors inside? (or am I wrong).

Do you think the Kulite sensors are measuring dynamic pressure which is 0.5*rho*v^2?

You can't directly measure dynamic pressure. That's the whole purpose of a Pitot-static tube. The important question is the one that @Baluncore asked. How are your probes mounted and oriented? That determines what they measure. Just calling them Kulites doesn't tell us much because Kulite, a brand name, makes hundreds of different sensor types that can be mounted many different ways and measure any sort of pressure.

Likes FactChecker
kepler456 said:

I have seen Kulites mounted on the backside where the skin has been machined to allow for static pressure measurement. I took a look at the Kulite website and they list static and dynamic pressure measurement for the models LQ-062, etc... (FlightTest.pdf)

1. What is static pressure on an airfoil?

Static pressure on an airfoil is the force per unit area exerted by the air on the surface of the airfoil when the airfoil is at rest. It is an important factor in determining the aerodynamic performance of the airfoil.

2. How is static pressure measured on an airfoil?

Static pressure on an airfoil is typically measured using a pressure tap, which is a small hole drilled into the surface of the airfoil. The pressure at this point can then be measured using a pressure sensor or manometer.

3. What factors affect the static pressure on an airfoil?

The static pressure on an airfoil is affected by various factors such as the angle of attack, airspeed, air density, and the shape and surface roughness of the airfoil. Changes in any of these factors can result in changes in the static pressure on the airfoil.

4. Why is it important to determine the static pressure on an airfoil?

Determining the static pressure on an airfoil is important because it helps in understanding the aerodynamic characteristics of the airfoil. This information is crucial in designing efficient and high-performance airfoils for various applications, such as in aircraft and wind turbines.

5. How is the determination of static pressure on an airfoil useful in real-world applications?

The determination of static pressure on an airfoil is useful in various real-world applications such as aircraft design, wind turbine design, and the design of other aerodynamic structures. It can also be used in the analysis and optimization of existing airfoil designs to improve their performance and efficiency.