Calculate Mass of Flywheel with Radius 75mm and Torque 100Nmm

• Thread starter HNCMATHS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, to determine the mass of a rim type flywheel with a mean radius of 75mm, we can use the equations for angular momentum and torque. By plugging in the given parameters of 1000 revolutions, 100Nmm torque, and 600RPM speed, we can solve for the mass of the flywheel. It is also recommended to list relevant equations and show work for accuracy.
HNCMATHS
1.Determine the mass of a rim type flywheel who’s mean radius is 75mm. If it travels a distance of 1000 revolutions when a torque of 100Nmm is applied. To travel this distance the fly wheel accelerates from rest to a speed of 600RPM.

I have no idea where to start on this one! Please could anyone advise?
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
You sure you transcribed the question right? The phrasing and terminology seem a little screwy. Traveling a distance? Where? How?

Anyhow, you probably need to start looking at angular momentum. There is your start.

HNCMATHS: Start by finding and listing relevant equations, such as here, here, and here; and start plugging in the given parameters. List relevant equations, and show your work. And then someone might check your math. Hint 1: Note that rg = r.

1. How do I calculate the mass of a flywheel with a radius of 75mm and a torque of 100Nmm?

To calculate the mass of a flywheel, you will need to use the formula: mass = torque / (angular acceleration x radius^2). In this case, the angular acceleration will be equal to the torque divided by the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is equal to 1/2 x mass x radius^2. Once you have calculated the moment of inertia, you can plug it into the formula to find the mass of the flywheel.

2. What units should I use for the radius and torque in the calculation?

The radius should be in meters (m) and the torque should be in Newton-meters (Nmm) for the calculation to be accurate.

3. Can I use a different unit for torque, such as foot-pounds (ft-lb)?

Yes, you can convert the torque to Newton-meters (Nmm) by multiplying the value in foot-pounds (ft-lb) by 1.3558. Then, you can use the converted value in the calculation.

4. Why is the radius of the flywheel important in calculating its mass?

The radius of the flywheel is important because it affects the moment of inertia, which is a key factor in determining the mass of the flywheel. A larger radius will result in a larger moment of inertia, which will require a larger mass to maintain a given torque.

5. Can I use this calculation for any size flywheel?

Yes, you can use this calculation for any size flywheel as long as you have the correct values for the radius and torque. However, it is important to note that this calculation assumes a uniform density of the flywheel and may not be accurate for flywheels with irregular shapes or non-uniform densities.