Determine and filter Credibility of data

In summary, the conversation discusses a task of identifying 'problem' vendors based on their consistent high loss ratios over a 3 year period. However, it is noted that loss ratio can be affected by premium amounts, which can vary significantly. This raises the question of how to filter out unreliable data and properly assess the risk assessment skills of the agent.
Semidevilz
I'm doing some work and don't really know if there is a better way to proceed. I have vendor information of how much premium they bring in, and how much losses they incur. With those 2 figures, I can get a 'loss ratio' of each vendor. My job is to look through the list and Identify any 'problem' vendors. I,e consistently high loss ratios over a 3 year period etc.

The issue is that since loss ratio depends on premiums, I might have a high loss ratio just because of low premiums. So an 800% loss ratio on 80,000 premium paints a different picture than an 800% loss ratio on 80 premium.

So with that in mind, is there a way for me to filter out the data that is not credible? Should I just get an average of the premiums and then analyze only the premiums above the average?

Physics news on Phys.org
Semidevilz said:
I'm doing some work and don't really know if there is a better way to proceed. I have vendor information of how much premium they bring in, and how much losses they incur.
Do you have only that information? Or do you also have more detailed information?
With those 2 figures, I can get a 'loss ratio' of each vendor. My job is to look through the list and Identify any 'problem' vendors. I,e consistently high loss ratios over a 3 year period etc.

As I interpret that definition of a problem vendor, such a vendor consistently underestimates the risk of loss. There could be other types of problems with vendors. For example, a vendor might be good at assessing risk but not good at making sales.

The issue is that since loss ratio depends on premiums, I might have a high loss ratio just because of low premiums. So an 800% loss ratio on 80,000 premium paints a different picture than an 800% loss ratio on 80 premium.

To formulate a mathematical problem we have be specific about what is different about the two pictures. I don't know the business that is involved. Just guessing, I visualize a "agent" selling insurance policies. His skill at assessing risk is exercised each time he sells a policy, so his net result not only depends on the premium of the policy that is paid but on the number of policies he sells since he must exercise his skill on each sale. In the real world of insurance, I don't know whether an agent who sells policies actually has much choice about what to charge for them. Perhaps the agent's only choice is to put the client is one of several categories. And there might not be much subjective choice involved in doing that.

Suppose the insurance company incorrectly assesses the risk of a certain policy P1 and an agent sells a lot of this policy. Then the "fault" of the agent is doing a good job of selling the policy.

In the model, I have described, I think assessing the skill of the agent well would involve getting into the details of whether the company that writes the policies is assessing risk well. If policy P1 tends to loose money for the company regardless of which agent sells it then is a particular agent to be regarded as a problem if he sells a lot of that policy?

1. What factors should be considered when determining the credibility of data?

When determining the credibility of data, there are several factors that should be taken into consideration. These include the source of the data, the methods used to collect and analyze the data, the expertise and bias of the researchers, and the relevance and timeliness of the data.

2. How can I filter out unreliable data?

To filter out unreliable data, it is important to critically evaluate the source and methods used to collect the data. Look for any potential bias or conflicts of interest that may affect the accuracy of the data. Additionally, cross-checking the data with other reliable sources can help identify any inconsistencies or inaccuracies.

3. What are some red flags that indicate data may not be credible?

There are several red flags that may indicate that data is not credible. These include a lack of transparency about the data's source or collection methods, conflicting information from different sources, and data that is outdated or not relevant to the topic being studied. Additionally, if the data seems too good to be true or supports a preconceived conclusion, it may be biased or manipulated.

4. How can I determine the credibility of data from online sources?

When evaluating the credibility of data from online sources, it is important to consider the reputation and expertise of the website or author. Look for reputable sources such as government agencies, academic institutions, or well-known organizations. Additionally, check for citations and references to ensure the information is supported by other reliable sources.

5. What steps should I take to ensure the accuracy of my own data?

To ensure the accuracy of your own data, it is important to carefully plan and execute the data collection process. This includes clearly defining your research question, using reliable and validated methods, and properly recording and analyzing the data. Additionally, it is important to be transparent about any potential biases and limitations of your study when presenting the data.