Determine crystal lattice structure from powder XRD

The peaks correspond to h2+k2+l2 values of 3, 4, 8, 11, 12, 16, 19, and 20, indicating a face centred cubic (fcc) structure.Calculate lattice parameters using the formula d = a/√(h2+k2+l2). The values for a are found by taking the highest common factor of the series of integers from step 3, and multiplying it by the known value for λ/4a2. This gives the value for a, and the other lattice parameters can be calculated using the relationships between them. In summary, by identifying the peaks and using the appropriate equations, it can be shown that the substance has a face centred
s_gunn

Homework Statement

Using the powder XRD data below, show that the substance has a face centred cubic structure. (xray lamda = 0.154056 nm)

Peak No.------2(theta)
1 -------------38.06
2 -------------44.24
3 -------------64.34
4 -------------68.77
5 -------------73.07

Homework Equations

[tex] 2dsin\theta = n\lambda[/tex]

[tex] d = \frac{a}{\sqrt{N}}[/tex]

[tex] \Delta sin\theta = \left(\frac{\lambda}{4a^{2}}\right)N_{2} - N_{1}[/tex]

[tex] N= h^{2}+k^{2}+l^{2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked out sin theta for each sin theta squared and delta sin theta:

Peak------2(theta)------sin theta----sin squared theta---delta sin squared theta
1-----------38.06-------0.32606-------0.10632------------
2-----------44.24-------0.37655-------0.14179------------0.03547
3-----------64.34-------0.53243-------0.28349------------0.1417
4-----------68.77-------0.56475-------0.31894------------0.03545
5-----------73.07-------0.59531-------0.35440------------0.03549

The only example we've covered is with a primitive cubic structure which I almost knew what I was doing(!) and the only advice that the lecturer gave was to "look for the highest common factor of values in the list delta sin squared theta to find [tex]\frac{\lambda}{4a^{2}}[/tex]

I obviously noted that the difference between peak 2 and 3 was the same value as Peak 2 but what I'm meant to do with that information I'm not so sure about!?

I know that a fcc structure only has N values of 3,4,8,11 etc but really could do with some advice as where to go from here!?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help at all would be appreciated! I've spent ages searching for answers and the people that I've spolen to at uni have no clue either so i'd love to be able to pass on the knowledge!

s_gunn said:

Homework Statement

Using the powder XRD data below, show that the substance has a face centred cubic structure. (xray lamda = 0.154056 nm)

Peak No.------2(theta)
1 -------------38.06
2 -------------44.24
3 -------------64.34
4 -------------68.77
5 -------------73.07

Homework Equations

[tex] 2dsin\theta = n\lambda[/tex]

[tex] d = \frac{a}{\sqrt{N}}[/tex]

[tex] \Delta sin\theta = \left(\frac{\lambda}{4a^{2}}\right)N_{2} - N_{1}[/tex]

[tex] N= h^{2}+k^{2}+l^{2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked out sin theta for each sin theta squared and delta sin theta:

Peak------2(theta)------sin theta----sin squared theta---delta sin squared theta
1-----------38.06-------0.32606-------0.10632------------
2-----------44.24-------0.37655-------0.14179------------0.03547
3-----------64.34-------0.53243-------0.28349------------0.1417
4-----------68.77-------0.56475-------0.31894------------0.03545
5-----------73.07-------0.59531-------0.35440------------0.03549

The only example we've covered is with a primitive cubic structure which I almost knew what I was doing(!) and the only advice that the lecturer gave was to "look for the highest common factor of values in the list delta sin squared theta to find [tex]\frac{\lambda}{4a^{2}}[/tex]

I obviously noted that the difference between peak 2 and 3 was the same value as Peak 2 but what I'm meant to do with that information I'm not so sure about!?

I know that a fcc structure only has N values of 3,4,8,11 etc but really could do with some advice as where to go from here!?
hai
i want to know what is the formula for finding a,b,c using 'd' and 2theta values. also if the structure is known how to calculate miller indices for the corresponding peaks

For Cubic crystal finding hkl (miller indices) is easy note that peak in xrd is a importent factor
(1) Identify the peaks.
(2) Determine sin2[itex]\theta[/itex]
(3) Calculate the ratio sin2[itex]\theta[/itex]/ sin2[itex]\theta[/itex]min and multiply by the appropriate integers.
(4) Select the result from (3) that yields h2 + k2 + l2 as an integer.
(5) Compare results with the sequences of h2 + k2 + l2 values to identify the Bravais lattice.
(6) Calculate lattice parameters.

Identify the peaks and their proper 2 values. Eight peaks for this pattern.
1.jpg

Determine sin2
2.jpg

Calculate the ratio sin2/ sin2min and multiply by the appropriate integers.
3.jpg

Select the result from (3) that yields h2 + k2 + l2 as a series of integers.
4.jpg

Compare results with the sequences of h2 + k2 + l2 values to identify the Bravais lattice.
5.jpg

1. What is powder X-ray diffraction (XRD)?

Powder X-ray diffraction is a technique used to analyze the structure of a crystalline material. It involves exposing a powdered sample to a beam of X-rays and measuring the resulting diffraction pattern, which can then be used to determine the crystal lattice structure of the material.

2. How does powder XRD determine crystal lattice structure?

Powder XRD works by exposing a powdered sample to a beam of X-rays at different angles. The X-rays will interact with the atoms in the sample, causing them to scatter in different directions. This scattering pattern is then analyzed to determine the arrangement of atoms within the crystal lattice.

3. What information can be obtained from a powder XRD analysis?

A powder XRD analysis can provide information about the crystal lattice structure, the size and shape of the unit cell, and the orientation of the crystal within the sample. It can also identify the types of atoms present in the material and their relative positions.

4. What are the limitations of powder XRD in determining crystal lattice structure?

Powder XRD is limited in its ability to determine the crystal lattice structure of non-crystalline materials, such as glasses or amorphous solids. It also cannot distinguish between different crystal structures that have similar diffraction patterns. In addition, the sample must be finely powdered and homogenous for accurate results.

5. What are some common applications of powder XRD in scientific research?

Powder XRD is commonly used in materials science, chemistry, and geology to study the structure and properties of crystalline materials. It is also used in pharmaceuticals to identify and analyze the purity of drug compounds. In addition, it can be used to analyze archaeological artifacts and identify unknown substances in forensic investigations.