Determine if set is a vector space

In summary, the set of all pairs of real numbers of the form (1,x) with the operations (1,y)+(1,y')=(1,y+y') and k(1,y)=(1,ky) is a vector space under the given operations.
Laura1321412

Homework Statement

Q) Determine if the set is a vector space under the given operations

The set of all pairs of real numbers of the form (1,x) with the operations (1,y)+(1,y')=(1,y+y') and k(1,y)=(1,ky)

2. Homework Equations / Solution Attempt

I know the axioms needed in this case, and I believe most all of them hold. The ones I am having trouble with in particular are

> There is an object 0 in V called the zero vector such that 0+u= u.
- But there isn't a zero vector if V is defined by (1,x) right?

> For each u in V there is an object -u in V, such that -u + u =0
- But -u would equal (1,-x) + (1,x) = (2,0) -- not 0

However, in the answer section of my book it says that this is a vector space under the given operations. I can't understand how the two above axioms hold... Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Laura1321412 said:
> There is an object 0 in V called the zero vector such that 0+u= u.
- But there isn't a zero vector if V is defined by (1,x) right?

> For each u in V there is an object -u in V, such that -u + u =0
- But -u would equal (1,-x) + (1,x) = (2,0) -- not 0

First: There must be a zero vector, but the only property the zero vector needs to have is that [tex]0 + u = u + 0 = u[/tex] for every [tex]u \in V[/tex] -- using the definition of [tex]+[/tex] you are given. In other words, you shouldn't necessarily expect the zero vector to be [tex](0, 0)[/tex]. In fact, as you point out, [tex](0, 0) \notin V[/tex].

Second: Be careful -- when you compute [tex]-u + u[/tex], what definition of [tex]+[/tex] should you be using?

You can (and should) use the report button to request that your other thread be deleted. (I also agree with what ystael said).

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical concept that represents a set of objects, called vectors, that can be added together and multiplied by numbers, called scalars. It follows specific rules and properties, such as closure under addition and multiplication, and has a defined zero vector and additive inverse for each vector.

2. How do you determine if a set is a vector space?

To determine if a set is a vector space, you need to check if it follows the eight axioms or properties of a vector space. These include closure under addition and multiplication, associativity, distributivity, existence of a zero vector and additive inverse, and commutativity. If a set satisfies all these properties, then it is considered a vector space.

3. What is the importance of determining if a set is a vector space?

Determining if a set is a vector space is important because it allows us to understand the mathematical properties and operations that can be performed on the set. It also helps us to solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, that involve vectors and vector spaces.

4. What happens if a set does not satisfy all the properties of a vector space?

If a set does not satisfy all the properties of a vector space, then it is not considered a vector space. This means that certain mathematical operations, such as addition and multiplication, may not be defined for the elements in the set. It also means that the set may not follow the rules and properties of a vector space, which can lead to incorrect results or inconsistencies in calculations.

5. Can a set be both a vector space and a subspace of another vector space?

Yes, a set can be both a vector space and a subspace of another vector space. A subspace is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies the eight axioms or properties of a vector space. This means that a set can be a subspace of a larger vector space, while also being a vector space in its own right.