Expressing Vector v in the Same Plane as u1 and u2

In summary, the problem is to determine if the vector v = (2, -7, 1) lies in the same plane as the vectors u1 = (2, -1, 3) and u2 = (1, 1 ,2) and express v as coordinates in the base u1, u2. The solution involves assuming that u1 and u2 also lie in the same plane as v and expressing v as a linear combination of u1 and u2. By solving the resulting linear equation, it is determined that v can be written as 3u1 - 4u2 in terms of u1 and u2. This method is considered correct and the use of scalar triple product is not necessary
Srumix

Homework Statement

The problem is to decide that the vector v = (2, -7, 1) lies in the same plane M as the vectors u1 = (2, -1, 3) and u2 = (1, 1 ,2) and express v as coordinates in the base u1, u2

Homework Equations

I decided to utilize that if the three vetors lies in the same plane, they must be linear dependent. If we assume that u1 and u2 lies in the same plane as v then we can express v as:

v = s1u1 + s2u2

Then

s1u1 + s2u2 - s3v = 0

If they are linearily dependent they must lie in the same plane. Right?

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the linear equation that the above relationship gives and finds that one of the equations is 0 = 0, hence it has infinitely many solutions, i.e s1 and s2 can be arbitraily chosen. (Right?)

I could now write v as coordinates in u1 and u2

By solving

s1u1 + s2u2 = (2, -7, 1)​

for s1 and s2.

I got the answer

v = 3u1 - 4u2

Which was correct, according to the book.

Now, i would like to know if this is a correct way to solve this problem, or if i was just getting lucky. This is my first attempt att liear algebra so I have no good intuition about the methods to solve this types of problems.

Please be as critical as you can!

Please point out any faults or "fuzzy thinking" I've done :)

Happy New Years!

P.s

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

That seems like a perfectly fine solution to me. You seem to be pretty clear on all of the steps.

I think it will be better to use scalar triple product for coplanarity .

amaresh92 said:
I think it will be better to use scalar triple product for coplanarity .
I disagree.

1) This is linear algebra and the scalar triple product is only defined for R3.

2) The problem also asked that v be written in terms of u1 and u2 and the scalar triple product doesn't help you do that.

Good to know that my method to solve this problem was correct.

Thanks a lot for your replies!

1. How do you express a vector in the same plane as two other vectors?

To express a vector v in the same plane as two other vectors, u1 and u2, you can use the projection method. This involves finding the projection of v onto each of the two vectors and then adding the two projections together to get the final vector in the same plane.

2. Can any vector be expressed in the same plane as two other vectors?

Yes, any vector can be expressed in the same plane as two other vectors. This is because any vector can be decomposed into components in the same plane as the two given vectors.

3. What is the purpose of expressing a vector in the same plane as two other vectors?

The purpose of expressing a vector in the same plane as two other vectors is to simplify calculations and make it easier to visualize the vector in relation to the other two vectors. This can also help in solving problems involving vectors in a two-dimensional space.

4. Is there a specific formula for expressing a vector in the same plane as two other vectors?

Yes, there is a formula for expressing a vector v in the same plane as two other vectors, u1 and u2. It is v = proju1(v) + proju2(v), where proju1(v) and proju2(v) are the projections of v onto u1 and u2, respectively.

5. Can vectors in different planes be expressed in the same plane as two other vectors?

No, vectors in different planes cannot be expressed in the same plane as two other vectors. This is because the projection method only works for vectors in the same plane. If the given vector is not in the same plane as the two other vectors, a different method must be used to express it in the same plane.