Determine max notmal stress, average shearing stress and bearing stres

In summary, this is a statics problem involving a locked piston with a force of 350 lbs applied. The diameter of all pins and bolts is 3/8 in., member BCE has a thickness of 1/4 in., and member Ef has a width of 1 in. The only force applied is P at point B, with components that can be determined from the angle relationships shown on the diagram. Equations of equilibrium can be written about point C to solve for the unknown forces.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The position of piston Cd is locked and force P = 350lb is applied as shown. The diameter of all pins and bolts is 3/8 in., member BCE has a thickness of 1/4 in., and member Ef has a width of 1 in. adn thickness 1/4 in.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Unless I'm much mistaken, this is mostly a statics problem.

Initially I tried drawing a FBD of member BCE with my x-axis along the bar starting at E and going right, and then I had my y-axis perpendicular to this (perpendicular to the bar BCE) pointin upwards.

But this seems to give me 6 unknown forces, Bc, By, Cx, Cy, Ex and Ey.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• deforms test 1-2 static.jpg
    deforms test 1-2 static.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
P is the only force applied at point B. The components of P can be determined from the angle relationships shown on the diagram. You are given the magnitude of P (350 lbs). You should be able to write equations of equilibrium about point C.

Related to Determine max notmal stress, average shearing stress and bearing stres

1. What is the formula to determine maximum normal stress?

The formula to determine maximum normal stress is σmax = P/A, where σmax is the maximum normal stress, P is the applied load, and A is the cross-sectional area of the material.

2. How do you calculate average shearing stress?

The formula to calculate average shearing stress is τavg = V/A, where τavg is the average shearing stress, V is the shear force, and A is the area over which the force is applied.

3. What is bearing stress and how is it determined?

Bearing stress is the stress that occurs between two solid surfaces in contact with each other. It is determined by dividing the applied load by the area of contact between the two surfaces. The formula for bearing stress is σbearing = P/A, where σbearing is the bearing stress, P is the applied load, and A is the area of contact.

4. Can the maximum normal stress exceed the yield strength of a material?

Yes, the maximum normal stress can exceed the yield strength of a material. However, if the stress exceeds the yield strength, the material will experience plastic deformation and may not return to its original shape.

5. How are maximum normal stress, average shearing stress, and bearing stress related?

Maximum normal stress, average shearing stress, and bearing stress are all different types of stress that can occur in a material. They are related in that they all involve a load being applied to a material, but they are calculated using different formulas and have different effects on the material. Maximum normal stress and average shearing stress are often seen together in cases of bending or torsion, while bearing stress is more commonly seen in cases of compression or tension.