1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine max notmal stress, average shearing stress and bearing stres

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The position of piston Cd is locked and force P = 350lb is applied as shown. The diameter of all pins and bolts is 3/8 in., member BCE has a thickness of 1/4 in., and member Ef has a width of 1 in. adn thickness 1/4 in.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Unless I'm much mistaken, this is mostly a statics problem.

Initially I tried drawing a FBD of member BCE with my x-axis along the bar starting at E and going right, and then I had my y-axis perpendicular to this (perpendicular to the bar BCE) pointin upwards.

But this seems to give me 6 unknown forces, Bc, By, Cx, Cy, Ex and Ey.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

P is the only force applied at point B. The components of P can be determined from the angle relationships shown on the diagram. You are given the magnitude of P (350 lbs). You should be able to write equations of equilibrium about point C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted