Determine the angle between the force and the line

In summary, the discussion revolved around using coordinates to find the angle between the force and the line "OC" in a given problem. The coordinates of the vectors AB and OC were determined to be (12,0,0), (0,24,8) and (0,0,0), (12,24,0) respectively. By taking the dot product of these vectors and using the formula for the dot product, the angle was determined to be 54.96 degrees. The concept of coordinates in relation to forces was also briefly discussed.
frozenguy

Homework Statement

Just have to determine the angle between the force and the line "OC".
DSCN2968.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{P}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] [tex]\vec{Q}=PQcos(\alpha)[/tex] ??

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using different triangles to find the angle but couldn't come up with one.

I "moved" the 12X24 box down the x-axis so OC starts from the tail of the vector.

Am I supposed to use Fxy some way?

Thanks for your help, I've been working on this for a couple hours now..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi frozenguy! :wink:

Forget triangles, use coordinates

what are the coordinates of the vectors AB and OC ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi frozenguy! :wink:

Forget triangles, use coordinates

what are the coordinates of the vectors AB and OC ? :smile:

Hi tiny-tim!
Thanks for taking a look!

Ok, so for AB, the coordinates are (12,0,0), (0,24,8)
OC=> (0,0,0), (12,24,0)

Then I can say that the components of the lines are AB: <-12,24,8> OC:<12,24,0>

Doting all of those gets me 432, and the product [tex]\left|AB\right|[/tex][tex]\left|OC\right|=751[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]\theta=cos^{-1}(\frac{432}{751})[/tex]
or, [tex]\theta=54.96[/tex] which is what the answer says!

Is this what you were referring to when you mentioned coordinates?

Also, this probably is really elementary, but what is the relation between coordinates and forces? Because sometimes that 200lb would be considered the length of the hypotenuse, but it's really only 28 in this case.

Thanks again for your help,

Frozenguy

1. What is the angle between the force and the line?

The angle between the force and the line is the angle formed between the direction of the force and the direction of the line. It is measured in degrees or radians.

2. How is the angle between the force and the line determined?

The angle between the force and the line can be determined by using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent. The specific formula used will depend on the given information about the force and the line.

3. Why is it important to determine the angle between the force and the line?

The angle between the force and the line is important because it helps to understand the direction and magnitude of the force acting on an object. This information is essential in analyzing and predicting the motion of the object.

4. Can the angle between the force and the line change?

Yes, the angle between the force and the line can change if either the direction or magnitude of the force or the line changes. This change in angle will also affect the resulting motion of the object.

5. How can the angle between the force and the line be used in real-life applications?

The angle between the force and the line is used in many real-life applications, such as engineering, physics, and sports. For example, in engineering, it is used to calculate the forces acting on structures and materials. In sports, it is used to determine the trajectory and accuracy of a ball or projectile.