How Is the Mass of Mars Calculated Using Orbital Data?

• Thread starter iamkristing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Mass
In summary, the Mars Odyssey spacecraft was launched in 2001 and underwent elliptical insertion into a highly circular orbit. The spacecraft is currently collecting data at an average orbital altitude of 419.5 kilometers and an orbital period of 1.964 hours. From these data, the mass of Mars can be determined to be 6.42e23 kilograms.
iamkristing

Homework Statement

The Mars Odyssey spacecraft was launched on April 7, 2001. It underwent orbital insertion. To minimize the amount of fuel required for the insertion process, a highly elliptical orbit was chosen, but circular orbits are far superior for the type of mapping work in which the Mars Odyssey will engage. The elliptical insertion orbit was therefore slowly circularized using an Aerobreaking maneuver that lasted several yrs. Currently, the Mars Odyssey is collecting data at an average orbital altitude of 419.5 km and an orbital period of 1.964 hours. From these data alone, plus the raduis of Mars (3395 km), determine the mass of Mars.

Homework Equations

E= .5mv^2 - (GMm)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the velocity of the spacecraft by dividing the circumference of the orbit by the time and got 12203.2 km/hr

Now i used the equation above. Both m's cancel and i solved for M. I got a value of 4.26e21.

Now the actual mass of Mars is 6.42e23.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you used the value for G as 6.67 x 10^-11 , that is in SI metric units, which are kilograms, meters and seconds, did you convert your distances from kilometers to meters? Did you convert your velocity from km/hr to m/sec? When you used the radius of the orbit, did you use the radius of Mars plus the average altitude?

As a tip, when asking for help with a calculation here, it is a good idea to show your work, rather than just asking about your results. It is pretty difficult to see where you may have made an error if we can't see what you were doing...

Thanks I did mess up on the units. And ill make sure to write it out next time!

I corrected the units and still am off. Is the theory/formulas I used correct?

I couldn't say exactly. You only wrote the mechanical energy expression for gravity. What did you use for the value of E? (For that matter, how would you know what to use for E?)

You will probably be better off to do this. Do you know the expression for the velocity of a circular orbit of radius R around a body of mass M? You found a value for that velocity and you know the radius, so you can solve for M from there.

1. How do scientists determine the mass of Mars?

Scientists use Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation to determine the mass of Mars. By studying the gravitational force between Mars and other objects, such as its moons or spacecraft in orbit, scientists can calculate the mass of the planet.

2. Why is it important to know the mass of Mars?

Knowing the mass of Mars is important for understanding the planet's composition, structure, and evolution. It can also help us determine the planet's gravity, which is important for future manned missions to Mars.

3. How accurate is the current estimate of Mars' mass?

The current estimate of Mars' mass is highly accurate, with a margin of error of only about 0.0001%.

4. Has the mass of Mars changed over time?

It is possible that the mass of Mars has changed over time due to processes such as impacts from other objects or the loss of atmospheric gases. However, these changes are likely to be very small and difficult to measure.

5. How does Mars' mass compare to Earth's?

Mars' mass is about 11% of Earth's mass. This means that Mars has a lower gravitational pull and a thinner atmosphere than Earth.