1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the Moment and the Maginitude of the Moment

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The weight of the printer is 86 lb with center of gravity at point G. Determine the moment MOof this weight about point O on the horizontal table top. Find the magnitude of MO.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My initial impression was to find the moments about the x, y and z axes and that these would give me their i, j and k components respectively

Mx = (86 lb)(52")
    = 4472 lb-ft
    My = (86lb)(22")
    = 1892 lb-ft

But I've compared these values to an identical question, with altered numbers, in my textbook and my values are much too large to be be the i and j components respectively (there is no k component because the force is parallel to the z axis). So what am I missing?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2
    Just found my mistake. I confused my units; the units given in the diagram are in inches, whereas the system and the example question want and give their answers respectively in feet. I converted the measurements in the diagram to feet and my answer is as follows:

Mx = -(86 lb)(4.33 ft)
    = -372.6638 lb-ft

My = (86 lb)(1.833ft)
    = 157.66638 lb-ft

Mo = sqrt(372.6638^2 + 157.6638^2)
    Mo = 404.644 lb-ft

These answers are correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook