Determine the sound power level of the compressor

In summary, a compressor installed in a large factory radiates sound uniformly and has a sound pressure level of 68dB at a distance of 45m. To determine the sound power level of the compressor, as well as its power output, additional information and calculations are needed. The third part of the question asks to determine the expected sound pressure level at distances of 10m and 100m from the compressor, which can be calculated using the formula L2 = L1-20log r2/r1, where L2 is the new sound level at the new distance, L1 is the sound level at the reference distance, and r1 and r2 are the respective distances from the source. More information, such as the units
2idle
A compressor installed in a large factory radiates sound uniformly. its sound pressure level at 45m away is measured as 68dB.

Determine (a) the sound power level of the compressor
(b) the power output of the compressor

Physics news on Phys.org
2idle said:
A compressor installed in a large factory radiates sound uniformly. its sound pressure level at 45m away is measured as 68dB.

Determine (a) the sound power level of the compressor
(b) the power output of the compressor

Welcome to the PF. You must show us your own work and thoughts, as well as the relevant equations, before we can offer any tutorial help. How would you approach this problem?

OK You've rumbled me, however I'm by no means after a fast easy way to complete an assignment as I've spent the last 6 hours on this question.
There was a third part to the question but I'm feeling quite confident about this
the third part was, determine the expected sound prssure level at 10m and 100m from the compressor.

To complete this part I used the formula -- L2 = L1-20log r2/r1

Where L2 is the new sound level at the new distance
L1 is the sound level at the reference distance
r1 is the reference distance from the source
r2 is the new distance from the source

What is the difference between "sound pressure level" at a distance, and the "sound power level of the compressor"? I'm not that familiar with the terms, so if you could show us the defining equations, that will help. And what units is the "68dB" number in? dB what?

What is a sound power level?

A sound power level is a measure of the acoustic energy radiated by a sound source, such as a compressor. It is expressed in decibels (dB) and represents the sound power per unit area at a given distance from the source.

How is the sound power level of a compressor determined?

The sound power level of a compressor can be determined by conducting sound power measurements using specialized equipment. This involves placing a microphone at a specified distance from the compressor and recording the sound produced. The recorded data is then used to calculate the sound power level.

Why is it important to determine the sound power level of a compressor?

Determining the sound power level of a compressor is important for several reasons. It allows for the assessment of potential noise hazards in the surrounding environment and helps in designing noise control measures. It also ensures compliance with noise regulations and standards.

What factors can affect the sound power level of a compressor?

The sound power level of a compressor can be affected by various factors, including the type and design of the compressor, its operating conditions, and the surrounding environment. Changes in any of these factors can result in fluctuations in the sound power level.

How can the sound power level of a compressor be reduced?

The sound power level of a compressor can be reduced by implementing noise control measures, such as sound insulation and vibration damping. Regular maintenance and proper operating procedures can also help in reducing the sound power level of a compressor.