Determine the translational and rotational motion

In summary, the problem involves a thin rod resting on a frictionless table and being struck by a clay ball at a specific distance from its center of mass. After the impact, the ball sticks to the rod and the question is to determine the translational and rotational motion. The solution involves calculating the moment of inertia for the rod and the ball, as well as the angular momentum of the ball with respect to the new center of mass. A mistake was made in calculating the moment of inertia for the clay blob, leading to a different answer than the one provided by the textbook.
LBloom

Homework Statement

A thin rod of mass M and length L rests on a frictionless table and is struck L/4 from its CM by a clay ball of mass m moving at speed v. The ball sticks to the rod. Determine the translational and rotational motion.

Homework Equations

Irod=1/12*M*R^2
I=mR^2
L=Iw or L=r*m*v
L=constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out the answer for the first part, but the second part has me stuck. I got:
m*v*L/4=(Irod+1/16*m*L^2)*w, where Irod=1/12*M*R^2

When i solve for w i get: [12m/(4M+3m)]*v/L
However the textbook says the answer is: [12m/(4M+7m)]*v/l

It looks like a made a mistake when calculating the moment of inertia for the clay blob, but i don't know where i made the mistake. I think it was in the beginning with Lbefore=Lafter, but i don't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The rod+ball will rotate around their new centre of mass, so you have to calculate the original angular momentum of the ball with respect to it, and also the moment of inertia of the whole system has to be calculated with respect to this new CM. ehild

I would first check the equations used and verify if they are appropriate for the given scenario. The moment of inertia for a thin rod should be Irod=1/12*m*L^2, not 1/12*M*R^2. Additionally, the conservation of angular momentum equation should be Lbefore=Lafter, not L=constant. After correcting these equations, the final answer should be [12m/(4M+3m)]*v/L, which is the same as your solution. It is possible that the textbook answer is incorrect or there is a typo.

1. What is the difference between translational and rotational motion?

Translational motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion refers to the spinning or turning movement of an object around an axis.

2. How do you determine the translational and rotational motion of an object?

To determine the translational motion of an object, you can measure its displacement, velocity, and acceleration. To determine the rotational motion, you can measure its angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

3. Can an object have both translational and rotational motion at the same time?

Yes, an object can have both translational and rotational motion at the same time. For example, a rolling ball has both translational motion as it moves forward and rotational motion as it spins around its own axis.

4. What is the relationship between translational and rotational motion?

The relationship between translational and rotational motion is described by the concept of torque. Torque is a force that causes rotational motion and is directly proportional to the distance from the axis of rotation and the force applied.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect an object's translational and rotational motion?

The distribution of mass affects an object's translational and rotational motion because it affects the object's moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. Objects with more mass distributed further from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia and therefore require more torque to rotate.